Recipes using Northern Brewer Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
With the hop shortage and more expensive hops, I am looking to use what I have in terms of hops. I have a bunch of Northern Brewer hops. Anyone have a line on an IPA that uses them? I could do PM or All Grain. Whatever works.

They are the traditional hops in a California Common (bittering, flavor, and aroma).

:mug: I just brewed a nice stout, a mini mash. A 7.5 gal. batch
12# dark LME
.75 #roasted barley
.75# chocalate malt
.75# crystal (120)
1.5# flaked oats

3 oz. northern brewers @ 60 min.
Just the aroma cooking it I know it's going to be good!:mug:

the_bird said:
It is a hop that I think you have to be a little careful of; they can be a little on the harsh side, I think.
When I was brewing a lot, I relied on Northern Brewer as my main bittering hop for a lot of brews. My brewing buddy usually detected a wintergreen note in the flavor of my ales, and I always wondered if that came from the Northern Brewer hop.

I suggest picking a favorite recipe, and substitute the Northern Brewer hops and see what happens. Recalculate the quantity of Northern Brewer hops needed to equal the bittering strength of whatever the other bittering hop was in a recipe of your choice. Here's a great opportunity to experiment.

I actually use them primarily in my IPA, I think it comes out pretty good. I started using them because it was what I had on hand when I formulated the recipe, I know it isn't an ideal IPA hop by any means, but it makes a tasty brew.

Not even close to an IPA but a WONDERFUL brew

This Homebrew Recipe was added by
Skotrat on November 12, 1997 at 19:50:39:
(Please contact them if you have questions about the Recipe)
Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 US gallon at High Krausen
Batch Size: 11 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol Content: 8.64 %
Total Grains: 32.79 US Pounds
Color: 12-22 (depending on carmelization)
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 28.6
Boiling Time: 2 hours
Primary Fermentation: 10 days @ 62f
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days @ 58f
Additional Fermentation: 2 months in brite tanks @ 45f

Grain Bill:

32.48 lb. Scottish Malting GOLDEN PROMISE PALE ALE 2 ROW (99%)
.31 lb. Roast Barley (1%)

Hop Bill:

1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 45 min
1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 35 min

Mash Schedule:

Single Step Mash:

90 minutes @ 154
10 minutes @ 168

Brewers Notes:

Yeast: WYEAST Scottish Ale

1728 Scottish Ale
Rich, smokey, peaty character ideally suited
for scottish style ales, smoked beers and
high gravity ales. Flocculation - high;
apparent attenuation - 69-73%. (55-70°F)

Notes:

Remove two gallons of first runnings and Carmelize it (boil down to about 1 pint and add back to boil). This will give the richer taste that you find in this finebeer.

Collect 15 gallons of Run-off and boil down to your 10 1/2 gallon target (the other 1/2 gallon will come from the 1/2 gallon starter of yeast slurry that you have made in advance).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of Irish Moss into the boil just because.

Traquair is the finest of all Scottish Ales. Their recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. 99% Pale Ale Malt, 1% Roasted Barley and 25-37 IBU's.

I have found this to be the common thread for this brew after reviewing about 30-40 recipes from Homebrewers that have cloned this brew.

About 1/2 of the recipes claimed that Traquair uses East Kent Goldings as the hop and the Other claim that Northern Brewer is the Hop.

I chose Northern Brewer because I am very fond of them as base hops.

I hope you like the recipe and if you brew it please let me know how it turned out and any changes that you have made.

I used them in an early IPA. They worked fine for bittering. Aside from smoothness vs harshness, I don't think the flavor matters when using hops for bittering. After 60 minutes, most if not all the flavor and aroma is gone...

SW Brewer said:
I looked at Walker-sans recipes in his signature and there is no IPA that uses all NB hops. Any other suggestions?

I can't think of an IPA that uses ALL NB hops (I don't think that would be very good) but the Anchor Steam Clone uses all NB hops. I'm making that today, as a matter of fact.

10 pounds 2-row
1 pound Crystal 60L

.75 NB at 60
.50 NB at 30
.50 NB at flameout

San Francisco Lager yeast. Mash at 154.

Definitely not an IPA, but NB hops for sure!

the_bird said:
It is a hop that I think you have to be a little careful of; they can be a little on the harsh side, I think.
I disagree, I believe NB is a fine hop from kettle to dry hopping. Given it's fairly moderate AA% makes it great for the kettle, and it's Humulene to Caryophyllene ratio makes it a highly valued hop for flavor and aroma. This is one of the most versatile hops you can use. IMHO of course.:mug:

I think that the California Common is the finest example of a brew using NB.
Here is my version. This is a darn good beer.
Here's the Grist:
Malted Wheat 5.00%
Crystal malt 10.00%
Domestic Two row 85.00%

Click here for the rest.

Back