Recipe thoughts, vienna lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
I am gonna brew (biab) a vienna this weekend, and either ghetto lager, or hopefully steal some space in a buddy's fridge, and this is the recipe I was gonna use, based on bradsul's recipe, and some suggestions from it's posts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=80356

10 lb vienna
.33 melanoidin

Mash at 152

1.25 hallertau for the one hour boil.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is srm, which brew toad tells me will be only 6. Any thoughts?

I would keep the hop addition to just the 60 min bitter addition and aim for around IBU in the low 20s. Its not an Oktoberfest and doesn't need later hop additions.

Would add some caramunich for color and flavor.

Im gonna keep just a 60 minute , but ill probably bump up to 1.5 oz, which would give me 23ibu (instead of1.25 with 19).

I'm brewing the same basic Vienna Lager recipe on Sunday without the melanoidin malt and with a 90 minute boil. I figure the Vienna can provide enough melanoidins with the help of the extended boil.

I'm not using a finishing/aroma hop either, but I'm going to add a flavor hop around 20-30 minutes before flameout.

I'm really interested to see if the color of this beer comes in-line with BJCP style specs -- all my estimates say it won't. If I like the recipe and need more color for competitions, I think I'll add some de-bittered black malt before sparge, so it adds little/no flavoring, the next time I brew this recipe.

Cheers! :mug:

I decided I'm just gonna leave the color alone also, I don't really wanna add color just for color as i don't do competitions or anything.

Back