Recipe thoughts/suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Hello beer people. I am brewing a beer for my brother and he doesnt know about it. Can anyone more experienced than I offer any thoughts or suggestions on the following recipe. He likes bock beers, and BF states this will be possibly in thr doppelbock-type catergory.

2.5 gallon BIAB

2.5# 2 row
2.5# maris otter
1# flaked corn
.25# crisp pale chocolate
.75# caramel 20

.25oz Brewers Gold hops for 60 min
Safale-04

Maybe too much corn?? Id like to be in the 6-8% range and 15-25 IBU

Thanks all, probably get to work on this in a couple weeks, so i will have time to hit my LHBS if i need to make any changes

Hello beer people. I am brewing a beer for my brother and he doesnt know about it. Can anyone more experienced than I offer any thoughts or suggestions on the following recipe. He likes bock beers, and BF states this will be possibly in thr doppelbock-type catergory.

2.5 gallon BIAB

2.5# 2 row
2.5# maris otter
1# flaked corn
.25# crisp pale chocolate
.75# caramel 20

.25oz Brewers Gold hops for 60 min
Safale-04

Maybe too much corn?? Id like to be in the 6-8% range and 15-25 IBU

Thanks all, probably get to work on this in a couple weeks, so i will have time to hit my LHBS if i need to make any changes

First, i'd change the base to Pilsner malt...MO isn't going to be the flavor profile for a Bock IMO.

Second, bocks are lagers, SO4 would definitely not give you a bock flavor.

You can leave the corn and and pale chocolate, i would change the Crystal to 40 not 20.

Get yourself some lager yeast like 34/70 and ferment in the mid 60's.

First, i'd change the base to Pilsner malt...MO isn't going to be the flavor profile for a Bock IMO.

Second, bocks are lagers, SO4 would definitely not give you a bock flavor.

You can leave the corn and and pale chocolate, i would change the Crystal to 40 not 20.

Get yourself some lager yeast like 34/70 and ferment in the mid 60's.

100% pilsner malt or just sub out the MO?

I can switch up to the 34/70 and temp shouldnt be an issue right now.

I have caramel 20 and caramel 120. Can I combo those to get close to a caramel 40? Or too.much headache and just get the 40?

Thanks for your reply

100% pilsner malt or just sub out the MO?

I can switch up to the 34/70 and temp shouldnt be an issue right now.

I have caramel 20 and caramel 120. Can I combo those to get close to a caramel 40? Or too.much headache and just get the 40?

Thanks for your reply

Personally, I would go all Pilsner malt...no need to mix unless you're wanting to get rid of it/use it.

I wouldn't try to combo the 20/120. I'd go and grab some 40L but that is just me.

Personally, I would go all Pilsner malt...no need to mix unless you're wanting to get rid of it/use it.

I wouldn't try to combo the 20/120. I'd go and grab some 40L but that is just me.

I can do that. I was needing to pick up MO anyway. I'll just grab pilsner, caramel 40 and some lager yeast. Thanks

Back