Recipe Review (Franken-Maibock?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
I don't really know what to call it. Some sort of really North American Maibock I guess?

Let me know what you think - I am most concerned that the wood chips will screw the pooch.

Extract:

GRAIN:

Belgian Cara-Munich 13 oz
German Munich 13 oz
40° Xtal 7 oz

MALT:

6 Lbs Dry Malt Extract

HOPS:

Perle 1 oz bittering @ 60min
Perle 1/4 oz flavor - Mix with Czech Saaz
Czech Saaz 1/2 oz flavor - Mix with 1/4oz Perle
Mix Hops @ 15 min till end of boil gradually

YEAST:

WLP011 European Ale Yeast

MAPLE SYRUP:

1lbs - 1/2lb @ 60min 1/2lbs @ 15min

RED OAK CHIPS:

Oak chips cut and charred on one side with blow torch then soaked in Jack Daniels for 1month.

Place soaked chips with JD in metal container and light on fire till alcohol sort of burns off and sugars become carmalized - cool - cut (or break) each chip in half and let soak again for 3 weeks.

Place oak chips in secondary and let beer rest for at least 5 weeks.

Could you guys give me an honest review of what you think? I'm pretty sure this will turn out around 7%abv. I get the feeling it might be overkill though. I really wanted to try and create something 'uniquely american' if you could imagine that.

I am very, very flexible and very open to suggestions from the experienced members. Anyway - input is very welcome. Thanks dudes.

Holy Jesus...where to start...sounds sweet as all hell? I dont even know..sorry just thought I would add in my two useless cents at this point since no one else has..the chips do sound a little over the top. especially with all the burning. maybe a little but that sounds like alot of charing and resoaking

yeah - i was thinking it would be cool to secondary some beer in a jack daniels charred white oak barrel - but I didn't want to make/ buy a barrel.

don't think it'll get to 7%. not sure it remotely resembles a maibock either. should be lager yeast. that being said, it still sounds tasty with the maple and oak, some sort of brown ale?

Back