Recipe help request - "lighter in body" IPA suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normzone

Reaction score
Hello again, and thank you all once more for all that you do here.

My wife's palate is changing, or maybe she's just tasting her beers more.

Everything we drink, including her house favorite "Port Brewing Wipeout IPA", tastes too syrupy and sweet to her.

I've always been a chaotic brewer, but I'm attempting to become a bit more disciplined, like actually using recipes ;-)

I'm itching to start an IPA batch, and hoping you could steer me towards a citrusy IPA recipe that has a lighter body, maybe rice malt influenced.

All help appreciated - Thanks. :)

Norman

While I don't have a specific recipe I'd base a recipe for that on: mostly 2-row, small amounts of light crystal and maybe sugar/rice/corn to bump the ABV without adding any maltiness. Mash at about 150.

For hops I'd stick to simcoe, citra, centennial, cascade.

Has she tried pilsners? You can get some pretty hoppy pilsners(Victory's Prima Pils comes to mind) that are very crisp but sufficiently hoppy.

Thank you VERY much, [postal penguin].

I probably should have specified that I'm still playing in this game at the (dry extract / soak a bag o' grains) level.

So can I interpret that as DME in restrained amounts, light crystal malt, rice / corn with a touch of sugar?

Thank you -
Norman

Leave out the cryastal.

Heck, boil 3 lbs of pale DME 1 lb brown sugar, and 4 oz of cascade 45/30/15/flameout.

That would be a dry IPA, see what she thinks of that.

Thank you VERY much, [postal penguin].

So can I interpret that as DME in restrained amounts, light crystal malt, rice / corn with a touch of sugar?

Thank you -
Norman

You'll still need the DME as your base so you need it to be the bulk of your fermentables, go with extra light or light extract(not sure what your LHBS sells). Crystal malts add a touch of sweetness so if you want to go really dry, omit them as cheesydemon3 says. And by sugar/rice/corn I meant use one of those as an adjunct, not that you have to use all three.

:mug:

Thanks for clarification, my alignment ( chaotic good with neutral overtones ) would have driven me to use all three.

I've got the remnants of a 50 lb bag of Briess light DME to work through, so I'll go with that and some rice malt.

And I'll hunt up some pilsners to sample as well.

Much thanks -
Norman

To get the light body IPA, use dextrose for up to 10% of the fermentables, use lighter specialty malts and less of them. Most pales and IPAs use a combination of 40 and 60 degree lovibond crystal, up to 10% of the grain bill. Use a combo of 20 and 40 degree, and keep it to 5 % of the grain bill.

Latest posts

Back