Recipe feedback - citra dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupuloso

Reaction score
The goal of this recipe is to showcase the citra on a medium bodied malty and dark backdrop, thus the Munich and a small amount of chocolate malt for steeping. The crystal is added for a touch of caramel sweetness to balance the bitterness of the hops, as the citra I am using is 11.4%AA. I am not going for porter or stout territory and do not want the roasted flavor to dominate, but rather give some additional complexity and balance the hops.

I am interested in what thoughts and suggestions there might be for this recipe?

Cannot recall coming across something like this before but if there are similar ones out there please let me know!

Citra Dark Ale

2 jars of Breiss munich LME
16 oz crystal malt L60
4oz chocolate malt
1oz citra 60 min
1oz citra 15 min
1oz citra 1 min
1 oz citra dry hop
American ale yeast (can't remember the specific name or brand)

I also have some cascade hops which I thought about using for bittering but I like the idea of a citra single hop beer. Other than that, these are the only ingredients I have at hand and while I could potentially remove or add less of any of the above, not looking to go out and buy anything new... Would prefer to start brewing asap! Cheers!

Ancor steam makes a beer that's close to what your trying to create called brekles. It's a hoppy brown all that is brewed with all citra hops. A great beer in my opinion.

Back