Recipe Critique for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
All Grain
12.00g Final Volume
1.065 OG
1.016 FG
8.1 SRM
57.4 IBU
6.9 ABV

26.5lbs 2 row
4lbs Munich
10.6Oz crystal 60
10.6Oz crystal 20

Mash @ 152

2.08oz Magnum @ 60
2.04oz Cascade @ 20
2.08ozCascade @ 10
2.5ozCascade @ 5
2.5oz Cascade @ flameout

4.0oz Amarillo @ dryhop for 5 days

3 pkgs US04

Let me know if I should make any changes before brewing this weekend. Looks good to me but want to make sure I'm not off on ratios.

It looks like WAY too much crystal for most people's taste. You're at over 11% crystal malt. That, combined with S04 yeast may mean a bit of a cloying finish. I'd definitely go with no more than 7% crystal, preferably more like 5% (or half what you have there).

For hops, I'd increase the late hops to no less than 2 ounces for each late addition, and remove the 30 minute columbus hops. The recipe needs more late hops, and less bittering.

If you're looking for a sweeter, maltier IPA you could brew a tasty beer with that % of crystal... it is high... but you could mash accordingly. Id also recommend trying to hit at most 7-8%... but hey, Lagunitas uses upwards of 7% crystal in their (amazing) IPA and they also mash at ~ 158-160°F!

It all comes down to balance. Id personally recommend the following...

-Kick back crystal ratio to 7-8% or remove the 20 outright.
-Set your mash temp according to your desired body and residual sweetness.
-Move 60 min additions to FWH. IMO this offers a "smoother" bitterness.
-(as yooper suggested) Push the rest of the additions back. Less bittering, more aroma and flavor. Hopburst with a big flame out addition.
-Id dry hop with a 2:1 ratio of Amarillo:Cascade in two 3-day periods... the last of which ends the day you bottle.

Again... all just my opinion... but i much prefer a smoother bitterness and loads of hop aroma/flavor in a mid-dry IPA that retains some balancing sweetness.

Back