Recipe critique- bullfrog DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliethebum

Reaction score
I've been tweaking this recipe for a while now, call it bullfrog because it's got lots of hops let me know what y'all think.

11 gallon batch
OG: 1.085
FG: 1.013
SRM: 8
Abv: 9.5%
IBU: 85
Calculated for 70% brewhouse efficiency

12# pale 2 row
8# munich 10l
3# white wheat malt
1# c20
Mash 90 minutes @ 149f

1 tsp gypsum in boil kettle

30 minute boil

@15 minutes, add:
5# DME
3# cane sugar
2 tsp Irish moss
4 oz Eldorado
2 oz each citra and mosaic

@5 minutes, add:
4 oz Eldorado

@ flameout, chill wort to 180f, add
4 oz Eldorado
Whirlpool 30 minutes

Cool to ~ 75f, transfer to conical, finish chilling to 65f before pitching 48 oz us-05 slurry

Ferment @ 65f until fermentation slows considerably, slowly ramp up to 72f, add 4 oz Eldorado and 2 oz each citra and mosaic 7 days before crashing to 32f under 5psi co2/ gelatin fining/ kegging.

Any input will be appreciated. Cheers!

Last edited:
Seems very reasonable to me. I'd maybe scale down the Munich and Cara slightly, but likewise it would be good as it is. With all that pale malt the maltiness will still be there. I do barleywines sometimes with all pale and because of the consentration they are malty

Seems very reasonable to me. I'd maybe scale down the Munich and Cara slightly, but likewise it would be good as it is. With all that pale malt the maltiness will still be there. I do barleywines sometimes with all pale and because of the consentration they are malty

Interesting. I might have to try a big DIPA with all 2 row to see what it's like. Maybe a SMaSH. Thanks for the input

Back