Recipe conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
Hi, so I brewed an extract dunkelweizen last year and it did well at a competition (took 2nd) and I want to work on improving the recipe and also I have since converted to all grain. My previous recipe was as follows for a 5 gallon batch:

Steeping grains:
6 oz midnight wheat
6 oz honey malt
8 oz munich

Extract:
3 lb wheat DME
3 lb wheat DME added 10 minutes left in boil

Hops:
1 oz hallertau for 60 minutes(achieve about 16 IBUs)

Yeast:
Wyeast 3068

So for the all grain recipe I am looking at as follows (i have been getting 60% on wheat beers):

Grain Bill:
7.25 lbs wheat malt (58%)
2 lbs Munich malt (16%)
1.5 lbs 2 row (12%)
1 lb honey malt (8%)
8 oz victory (4%)
4 oz Midnight wheat (2%)
1/2 lb rice hulls

Hops:
Tettang for added at 60 minutes and 30 minutes to IBUs of about 16

Yeast:
Wyeast 3068

I plan to mash at about 156 F

Expected results per Brewers Friend:
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5%
IBU: 16
SRM: 18

Is the victory addition too much? Anything else that is too much or too little? Think this looks to be an improvement? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

If your goal is duplicate your extract version, I would keep the specialty grains as-is and mash them with 60% Wheat malt and up to 40% Pils (or domestic 2 Row) at 153-5F for medium body.

If you want to change things up, your new recipe is a good start, but I would remove the victory. The honey malt isn't traditional, but if its a winner for your beer, perhaps around 3% by weight. You could increase the munch too if you like.

Back