Recipe adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
I just bought the Clone Recipe book and it is all for 5 gallon batches. I'm starting to do 10 gallon batches and was wondering if you just double all the amounts or there is a trick to to.

Pretty much you just double everything. There is talk that hops are or are not more effective as the volume goes up, but it is marginal - like 5 or 10% which makes a difference if you are putting in say 1lb of hops (or are a pro), but at 2 oz, you can't really adjust. - what are you going to do? save .1 of an oz?

If you are doing All Grain, be sure to establish your boil off rate to hit your target volumes

I guess the hops are what is giving me the most confusion. I built a recipe on Brewers Friend and even with the 10 gallon batch doubling the hops doubled the ibus.

I guess the hops are what is giving me the most confusion. I built a recipe on Brewers Friend and even with the 10 gallon batch doubling the hops doubled the ibus.

Beersmith has a scaling feature built in that will tell you exactly what you need but agree with what everyone says. You will need just a touch less hops.

Back