Reasonable FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkPouchMan

Reaction score
I've got a molasses porter in primary since last saturday (11 days). Just took a hydrometer reading.

The recipe is based on Brewer's Best robust porter, which specifies OG of 1.050-1.055 and FG of 1.012-1.015. I added ~12oz. of blackstrap molasses and a bit of licorice. My OG was 1.062. Today's reading was ~1.020.

Is that reasonable, or is it not finished?

Depends on the yeast.

Thats high for a dry American yeast, but about right for a sweeter English style yeast. Check the attenuation rate for your particular yeast.

nick

My guess is it's probably done - maybe the molasses isn't very fermentable. How did the hydro sample taste? I'd still leave it for another week before moving it.

not that i know what to expect from a brew like this, but the hydro sample tastes ok (maybe i overdid the molasses a bit, but hopefully it'll turn out well after a few weeks in bottle, or even just blend better when chilled). Good and dark.

The yeast was... whatever comes with Brewer's Best kits. Hehe... not sure, but I think Nottingham. Dry. Yellow packet. Airlock hasn't bubbled in days. There are some very small bubbles coming out of the beer itself, slowly, but that could just be co2 coming out of solution...

EDIT

Also, the alcohol smell's pretty intense. Hurts the nose to smell the inside of the fermenter. Good thing I didn't sneeze!

I know blackstrap is only so fermentable, as most of the sugar's been removed. But I'm not sure just how the math works out.

Well, I guess it's best to be smart and patient about it, so I'll not bottle it today. I'll take another reading tomorrow.

its not the alcohol in the fermenter you're smelling that is 'intense' as that ABV is only about 5%.

you're smelling carbonic acid formed by the blanket of CO2. its very bitter/sour/acrid and will knock the wind right out of you since you're inhaling WAY too much CO2.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea, but carbonic acid makes way more sense. I figured it was alcohol because until homebrewing I never had the chance to smell 5 gallons of beer at the same time!

Back