Really Stupid Mistake…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhc23

Reaction score
I made a really mistake yesterday. So the valve on my pot got clogged with grains yesterday. I unhooked my siphon tube from my pot and apparently dropped the 5 or 6’ of tubing in my primary fermenter. I then dumped my wort in the fermenter without realizing the siphon tube was at the bottom.

The thing is I didn’t realize it until this morning when picking all my stuff up. My tube was brand new and properly sanitized. Is my batch ruined? I feel like at this point I should just let it set in there since it’s been in the fermenter overnight.

Is my batch ruined?
Why would it be ruined?

Just leave it in there until you bottle or keg the beer. If it's going to gnaw at you for the next few weeks, then sanitize something to fish it out with. Though you risk ruining the beer more by doing that. IMO.

Why would it be ruined?

Just leave it in there until you bottle or keg the beer. If it's going to gnaw at you for the next few weeks, then sanitize something to fish it out with. Though you risk ruining the beer more by doing that. IMO.
Yea. That was my thought as well. I just know how critical it is to keep it clean and having a siphon tube in the fermenter aggravates me. Lol.

Hardly worth labeling as “really stupid”. If properly sanitized, totally fine. At worst a few more nooks and crannies for stuff to hide in and around but nothing worth fretting about.

I lost a thermometer once. Found it in 2" of trub and hop residue at the bottom of a fermenter a few weeks later. The hardest thing about homebrewing is learning not to worry about 1) a trivial mistake like that and 2) that someone on this forum will try to humiliate you for having made it.

Everybody does things like that.

Yep we all have those. I'm on #2 red cap for my autosiphon for the same reason. Knew it popped off in the fermenter and had made a mental note to retrieve it later. Didn't save that yeast, flushed it....and the cap. Fortunately guy at my LHBS had a spare.

Is the tubing vinyl or silicone?
If silicone, I'd fish it out, using a sanitary method.
I'm surprised at this suggestion. I was thinking the opposite -- that I wouldn't like vinyl in my beer, but silicone wouldn't bother me. At this point, I might not bother retrieving either one.

I'm pretty sure vinyl, silicone, alcohol, malt, hops, yeast, and even uncontaminated water are known to the state of California to cause cancer. Just make sure you aren't living in the state of California and you'll be fine.

I'm surprised at this suggestion. I was thinking the opposite -- that I wouldn't like vinyl in my beer, but silicone wouldn't bother me. At this point, I might not bother retrieving either one.
I had dropped a 4 inch piece of 1/2" ID thick-walled clear silicone brew hose into my fermenter, holding a NEIPA. When I kegged and retrieved it from the yeast/trub layer, a week or so later, that piece of hose had turned black! 😲 😲 😲
The beer was A-OK though.

That piece of tubing slowly returned to its original color a few weeks later, left in Starsan, IIRC.

Latest posts

Back