Quantcast

Mixed-Fermentation Sour Beer Really Easy Fruit Sour

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Shenanigans

Reaction score
I never (intentionally :oops:) brewed a sour beer before so want to give this a try.
Maybe I'm getting mixed up with Brett but will this thing not keep on fermenting (getting sourer) or the process goes so quick that all sugars are eaten up in a few weeks and the sour pitch stops working?
I guess you could make a sour pale ale with the base sour beer?
Instead of adding it to fruit just add about 2oz of hops as a dry hop. - Any of Amarillo, Vic Secret, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic would be nice.
Would the dry hops kill off the sour pitch or it needs to be IBUs from boiling?
Then another option would be just to add a hop tea boiled for about 10 mins and filtered in the French press. 🤔

OP
Gnomebrewer

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
There's a limit to the sourness from any Lactobacillus strain. For my tastes, L. plantarum (eg. sourpitch) finishes at just the right sourness, but other strains may get more sour.

Yes, you can add dry hops and/or hop tea to sour beer. It doesn't take much hop (boiled or dry) to stop L. plantarum (there are some other more hop tolerant strains) but IMO it doesn't need stopping anyway!

Shenanigans

Reaction score
There's a limit to the sourness from any Lactobacillus strain. For my tastes, L. plantarum (eg. sourpitch) finishes at just the right sourness, but other strains may get more sour.

Yes, you can add dry hops and/or hop tea to sour beer. It doesn't take much hop (boiled or dry) to stop L. plantarum (there are some other more hop tolerant strains) but IMO it doesn't need stopping anyway!
Great, thanks for the information.:)
Too late for summer now but I might give this a go in early spring.
A split batch; one half with raspberries and the other with hops.
Just need to decide which hop(s) and how much.
From what I have Nelson, Blanc, Lemon drop, Mandarina Bavaria or Calypso might also work.

🤯

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
new brewer alert.......OG Post states............ 2/3 Pilsner malt. 1/3 Wheat malt.........is this 2/3 pound Pilsner and 1/3 pound wheat malt?? and is this DME or crushed grains? Definitely want to get this brewing soon...i have a set up that can do 2 gallons, so I will most likely do 2 different flavors in 1 gallon fermenters.....thinking a strawberry rhubarb and a cherry vanilla???

OP
Gnomebrewer

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
Different systems have different efficiencies and batch sizes, so recipes that list quantities of grain really only work for the system the original brewer used. 2/3 pils malt and 1/3 wheat malt basically means you work out how much grain you need on your system to get to 1.045, then divide by three to work out how much wheat malt, and double that for your pils malt. You could certainly use LME instead of grains (I haven't seen wheat DME so I don't think you could use DME). For 2 gallons at 72% efficiency (which may or may not suit your system) you'd use about 3.3lbs of grain, so 2.2lbs of pils malt and 1.1lbs of wheat malt. Alternatively, you'd need 2.5lbs of LME in 2 gallons to get 1.045. This could be straight wheat LME or straight pils LME or a blend of both.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Different systems have different efficiencies and batch sizes, so recipes that list quantities of grain really only work for the system the original brewer used. 2/3 pils malt and 1/3 wheat malt basically means you work out how much grain you need on your system to get to 1.045, then divide by three to work out how much wheat malt, and double that for your pils malt. You could certainly use LME instead of grains (I haven't seen wheat DME so I don't think you could use DME). For 2 gallons at 72% efficiency (which may or may not suit your system) you'd use about 3.3lbs of grain, so 2.2lbs of pils malt and 1.1lbs of wheat malt. Alternatively, you'd need 2.5lbs of LME in 2 gallons to get 1.045. This could be straight wheat LME or straight pils LME or a blend of both.
Thank you so much for clarification and breaking it down for me. Much appreciated!