Really clogged diptube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I am going to admit I did something really really stupid. I had the brilliant idea to "squeege" out the inside of a diptube with a chunk of paper towel and an unfolded coat hanger. I got it maybe 6 inches into the diptube before the paper towel chunk bunched up and became stuck. Then I finally realized this was a stupid endeavor and decided to push it back out from the other side. Nope. Just jammed it in there worse. So, my issue is as follows. Any ideas on something household or cheap that I can use to either dissolve the paper towel or use to essentially 'drill' it out?

I have tried TSP, soap water, soaking the hell out of it for 2+ weeks, hammering the coat hanger thing, talking to it nicely, cussing at it, threatening it with berry punches from BillyKlubb

here is a diagram of it, the o's being where the paper towel is stuck

|============ooo====

Air compressor with blower nozzle? Might shoot it out of there.

Butane torch blast up in there and try to burn it out it short bursts?

Or, wooden dowel that would fit in there and a hammer?

I would go for the torch route. Heat the outside of the tube really hot. You'll likely have enough air in the tube to char the paper towel and then you can get it out.
Or something really nasty and caustic/acidic to soak it in to dissolve the paper towel.

What about hooking up a Beer/Out QD to the gas line, cranking the regulator to 40psi and trying to shoot it down the dip tube

Bummer. I'm in the "Burn Baby Burn" camp.

or

Stick one end of the tube in a carpenter ant hole and wait till you see them coming out the other end.

Last edited:
First, I'd soak it in a soapy water solution for an hour and then hook it up to an air compressor.

If that didn't work, then I'd use a propane torch or just a gas burner on a stove and a wire to poke the ashes out.

Also, maybe someone can back me up this but lye eats paper right? You could try a lye bath soak.

What about hooking up a Beer/Out QD to the gas line, cranking the regulator to 40psi and trying to shoot it down the dip tube

Or just assemble the keg normally and pressurize it. Maybe leave out the liquid poppet. I think most diptubes are tapered, so you'd be better off blowing it up the diptube toward the post. A little water in the keg might help it go as well, it would be easier for co2 to get past the clog than water.

Bleach might dissolve or weaken the paper, or drain cleaner.

Will have to give your ideas a try. Unfortunately I dont know if the CO2 or air compressor will be sufficient. I have filled it with water and it will drain through over time, I have gotten it soapy/TSP/PBWey and let it soak then followed with a plunging from the coat hanger and it wont budge. I may have to resort to fire. Think I will try soap and pressure first though, then follow with fire. Because, well. Fire. But whatever you do, do not cram a large spitwad up a beer out dip tube. If you do, you are in for a bad time.

You've got a big papier maché plug now. I'd drill it out, if possible. 1/8" drill bit on the end of a welding rod. Or reshape the end of the coat hanger to form a chisel.

No no no. You really don't want to go royally scratching up the inside of a dip tube with a drill bit. That's just not a good idea.

Take a propane touch to heat the coat hanger till it's red hot then stick it down into the paper and burn it from the inside. Quick and easy.

OP, have you asked your mom to just suck it out?

... Sorry, I couldn't resist any more. I have the mind of a child.

Seriously, just throw it in the oven the next time you're baking something. The paper will dry out, crumble, and fall right out.

I think this is the best method to start with. Your plate chiller can go in the oven too.

Sorry about that. Just tried and the Fire method worked. I had put liquid dish soap in it and wasn't motivated to do anything with it. Drained it out and used one of those jet cigar style lighters to heat the diptube. Got some sizzle and some smoke bubbles and heard a little glugging noise and nasty looking water dripped out of the other end. I took my coat hanger and tapped the clog and it shot out the end of the tube. A visual look down the tube shows some buildup of something so I am going to PBW soak the hell out of it and reinstall it back in the corney. I have learned my lesson.

Plus I learned that paper towels are not near as biodegradable as I thought. Especially when compacted. It went from about 3 inches down to maybe a little over one inch in length.

Back