American Pale Ale Mandarin Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at ~65F
Tasting Notes
Tons of citrus, smooth, comes across as somewhat sweet. Beersmith puts the IBU at 60, but my taste buds say it's more like 30.
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.65 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.65 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name -

6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 83.5%
10.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 8.7%
5.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 4.3%
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 3.5%

1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 51.7 IBUs

1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min 5.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2.7 IBUs

1.00 Cup Orange Juice (Primary)

1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast

4.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
4.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

----------------------------

For water, I aimed for ~ 2:1 Cl to SO4 (~140Cl : 70 SO4)

-------------------------------

Mashed for 1 hr at 150F

---------------------------------

I squeezed the juice from 10 mandarins and 5 naval oranges, and added the juice to primary on day 3, once the krausen had mostly fallen.

I zested those same oranges and mandarins, and made a tincture by letting the zest dry, then covering it with vodka and letting it sit in a sealed mason jar for for approximately a week. I left the jar on top of the fridge thinking the warmth would encourage the oil extraction.

Then, on advice received, I unsealed the jar, and just covered it with paper towel, and let it slightly evaporate until bottling day (was told that would vent off some of the alcohol... no idea if that's true, though I did see about 20% of the volume vent off, so something was evaporating )

I dry hopped as indicated, after about 1 week in primary, and left it until bottling.

On bottling day, I strained the zest out of the vodka tincture, and added the full amount of now-flavoured vodka to the bottling bucket, with my priming sugar solution (I'd estimate 1/4-1/3 cup of vodka).

Some time ago I'd tried a commercial beer "Mandarin IPA" from 4 Mile Brewing on Vancouver Island, and it was bursting with orange/mandarin aroma, and to a lesser degree, flavor... and I wanted to copy it.

I attempted it, and failed, so I reached out to the brewery and they gave me a lot of tips, scaled to my batch size (note, this recipe is for a 3,5 gal batch, so scale as necessary), and re-did it, and the results were very good (to my tastes).

I brewed it near the end of June, bottled and started drinking it mid-to-late July, and I've really enjoyed it. As it's aged, the mandarin has faded somewhat, as expected, but it's still a very good brew.

I initially considered it an IPA, but despite Beersmith estimating 60 IBU, it tasted like much less, maybe half that, so I'm calling it a Mandarin Pale now. The 2:1 Cl:SO4 could play a role there.

End result, I still don't think it pushes out quite the same in-your-face mandarin as the commercial beer I was trying to copy, but this is the first recipe I've put together on my own (sort of, had help) that I will be brewing again.... though maybe not too often, the amount of hops made this a relatively expensive brew.

Back