Re-pitching slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrT2u

Reaction score
I'm going to re-pitch some washed yeast I harvested about a month ago. I have enough to just pitch direct without making a starter, but I wonder if it would be better to use a little less slurry and make a starter with it?

if you make a starter you will at the least know it is still good, I reuse my yeast I just put it in an amount of my pre boil wort then it is ready to pitch when I am ready

I know it is working

all the best

S_M

I suggest you make a starter with DME and water, so the yeast will be somewhat familiar with the environment. It will also give you a proper chance to see if they are still viable.

MindenMan said:
I suggest you make a starter with DME and water, so the yeast will be somewhat familiar with the environment. It will also give you a proper chance to see if they are still viable.

How do you know if it is viable? I have a stir plate i built and want to use my washed yeast in a starter. But the stir plate mixes it all around so i can't tell if the yeast has propagated or not. Do I just turn off my stir plate after a day or so and wait to see if my yeast slurry has increased in size?

brew_ny said:
if you make a starter you will at the least know it is still good, I reuse my yeast I just put it in an amount of my pre boil wort then it is ready to pitch when I am ready I know it is working all the best S_M

Ive never done this before. So basically I can toss the slurry into my pre-boil wort and then after I boil and cool, I can toss the pre-boil wort that I added the yeast to into my fermentor with the beer?

How much pre-boil wort would I use? What should I put the pre-boil wort and yeast in? The bottom of the primary, a 1/2 gallon carboy, etc,?

This seems easier than doing a starter. So I am considering it.

Thanks,

Ive never done this before. So basically I can toss the slurry into my pre-boil wort and then after I boil and cool, I can toss the pre-boil wort that I added the yeast to into my fermentor with the beer?

How much pre-boil wort would I use? What should I put the pre-boil wort and yeast in? The bottom of the primary, a 1/2 gallon carboy, etc,?

This seems easier than doing a starter. So I am considering it.

Thanks,

after I have my first and second runnings in my brew kettle I take a quart

and put it in a pan on the stove and boil it for 5 or 10 minutes put a piece of sanitized foil on it and let it cool

I have a half gallon glass milk jug I use pour the yeast I am going to use then pour in a about 3/4 of the wort

shake it up good an put an airlock on it and let it work, while I am doing my boil

by the time it is at high krausen my wort is cool and ready for me to pitch

shake it good and dump it into the wort, if I need a bit more time I will dump the little bit of wort I held back to keep it working

most of the time it is ready when I am

it kinda like making a real wort starter, is it the right way who knows it is just what I found works nicely for me

all the best

S_M

Latest posts

Back