Re-Pitching Question for a Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
So I have read that re-pitching or having additional yeast for a larger beer is a good thing. To this end, I brewed a 1.116 OG beer last weekend and was hoping to get down to 1.033. So what I did is I picked up some Safale-05 to finish off whatever my London Ale III (wyeast) didn't ferment, which according to wyeast can handle up to 10% ABV.

So I brewed the beer, pitched a starter of the London Ale III (started 3 days prior and got to ~300ml of yeast after I decanted the starter beer). In 2 days it got down to 1.042 and this made me very happy:D. I waited until today to check again and it was down to 1.030 ~11% ABV, once again very happy.

Now for my question, (sorry if it gets a little long winded) I understand that the yeast can probably perform and still work outside of their proposed working range, (11% not too far off from 10%). But I also have the Safale-05 still in my fridge, is there any reason NOT to pitch it in? I guess the wyeast would still be able to clean-up (which would be nice, especially since ferm temps were ~70-72 due to a lack of central AC) but I could also pitch the safale-05 and have them help out.

So ultimately to pitch or not to pitch, will it help or possibly hurt?

There is no way it will hurt at this point. But does it need to be done? I'm not so sure. Most yeasts will actually ferment above their specified range. One problem you could encounter is that sometimes once a beer gets to be 10% or more and the yeast stalls out you can have trouble getting new yeast to do anything at all due to the high levels of alcohol.

I guess another consideration would be if it would help the diacetyl reduction since I want to age this for about a year. I read somewhere that the diacetyl flavor will increase as time progresses, so having as little as possible initially would probably be best.

I never think about checking gravity until a beer has been in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks. I do ferment most beers in the low 60s, but even at higher temps, see no reason to rush any brew.

Early experience has shown me that it isn't uncommon to get a substantial gravity drop in the days or weeks after the active fermentation stage. Although I brew mostly APAs and IPAs, I have never had a brew do anything but improve with extended time in the fermenter.

Bob

The O5 will do nothing at this point.

Just up the temperature for a few days to give the beer a diacetyl rest.

You might want to use some champagne yeast at bottling to ensure it carbonates.

I guess another consideration would be if it would help the diacetyl reduction since I want to age this for about a year. I read somewhere that the diacetyl flavor will increase as time progresses, so having as little as possible initially would probably be best.

Do you have any diacetyl flavor? Chances are at that fermentation temp you don't. Diacetyl will reduce with time, the yeast metabolize it once active fermentation ends

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will re pitch then. Having yeast for bottling shouldn't be a problem since I'm kegging then going to the bottle from there.

I dont think I tasted much diacetyl, but seeing as this is my 7th brew I'm not fully fluent in the off flavors fully yet. I appreciate the help all.

Back