Rdwhahb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long from grain/extract to glass

• 1 Hour

• 1 Day

• 1 Week

• 1 Month

• How long it actually takes depending on style

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pommy

Reaction score
How do you think the grain/extract to glass time-frame should be to enable you to enjoy the process as much as possible? would you rather it was one hour, one day, one month...
If you could choose a time-frame for your brews how long would it be?
:mug:

I think to many are voting based on what they actually do rather than really reading the post fully.

I voted a month because thats how long my beers usually ferment, not including conditioning time. IMO the correct answer would be depending on style

How do you think the grain/extract to glass time-frame should be to enable you to enjoy the process as much as possible? would you rather it was one hour, one day, one month...

If i could decice? thirty seconds after i pitch the yeast, the beer would be ready to drink.

Since i can't do much to make that not a fantasy, i wait however long it takes for the yeast to finish what they do.

On the poll I voted that it's by style. But since you asked if we could choose... Heck I'd like it ready as soon as I'm done cooling the wort! LOL. I know waiting and patience can provide a certain aesthetic of appreciation but it's just time. So if I had a choice to magically change it I would choose instantly ready :D

I can hear the jingle now: "Carnation instant beeeeer, you're gonna love it in an instant!"

Rev.

i think being forced to wait builds up the suspense/excitement and makes the beer that much better, if for no other reason than the anticipation.

I'm not going to go on record with a withdrawal date. It takes as long as it takes. If we put a time-limit on these things, the enemy will just sit and wait for us to withdraw.

Oh, wait, that's war in the Middle East.

I guess that goes for beer too.

;)

I'm confused as to what you're getting at. Are you asking how long we'd like our beers to take, or how long they take? None of your answers are suitable, all my beers are between 7 and 8 weeks minimum from grain to glass. You gotta remember that if you bottle that's a minimum 3 weeks on top of your time in primary or secondary, and if you even follow the idiotic 1-2-3 rule that's 6 weeks from grain to glass. So I'm confused.

Now as to how long we'd like it to take- as I posted awhile ago, and has ended up on a sigline or two
Revvy said:
We all want our beer to be done... I'd like to see my 1.080 above beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we?

4 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, 6 weeks in bottle or keg.

So 11 weeks till its really good and ready.

4 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, 6 weeks in bottle or keg.

So 11 weeks till its really good and ready.

Why do you secondary if you long primary??? The point of long primaries is to AVOID a secondary. My beers are crystal clear after a month...there's very little left to need to settle out.

Just out of habit, I use to only primary for 2 weeks, then secondary with gelatin.

I still havent mastered the autosiphon, and I tend to get some of the gunk from the primary, so the extra week in the secondry lets that fall out.

The time it takes for the beer to ferment and condition is definitely part of the appeal for me. I love that it's living organisms that turn the wort into beer, and I don't mind waiting for them to do their thing.

My answer to this is directly related to the amount of finished beer I already have in the fridge :)

I'm confused as to what you're getting at. Are you asking how long we'd like our beers to take, or how long they take? None of your answers are suitable, all my beers are between 7 and 8 weeks minimum from grain to glass. You gotta remember that if you bottle that's a minimum 3 weeks on top of your time in primary or secondary, and if you even follow the idiotic 1-2-3 rule that's 6 weeks from grain to glass. So I'm confused.

Now as to how long we'd like it to take- as I posted awhile ago, and has ended up on a sigline or two

He's asking how long we'd like them to take in a dream world, otherwise the only answer would be "depends on the style." I chose an hour, because who really wants to wait for beer? Waiting for beer is tyrannically forced upon us by the lazy Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Anyone who would choose to wait extended periods of time for beer in a dream world has been conditioned to prefer the torture of waiting! :D

We all want our beer to be done... I'd like to see my 1.080 above beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we?

My dad's a minister, I'm digging the irony of this. :D Though I doubt he would!

FWIW, I voted 1 hour 'cause that's the shortest time listed. Truth be known, I'd like to just mix it like koolaid and have it be the best beer ever!

Back