RDWHAHB Moment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavandeh

Reaction score
For my first all-grain BIAB today, I stared to mash in my single vessel. I started at 157 degrees, accounting for temp loss for grain addition. I mashed in, stirred, and checked the temperature. 152 on the nose. Great!

I stirred and checked for dough balls. Just then, I realized something. I'm supposed to be brewing IN A BAG!...

My bag was in a bucket next to my gas range. I frantically dumped my mash into the bucket, knowing I would suffer some heat and volume loss. I rinsed remaining grains out of the pot with hot water (probably less than half an ounce of grain), and put the bag back into the pot, lifted it onto the stove, and poured the mash water back into the pot. 146 degrees. With the burner on high and stirring constantly I brought the temperature back up to 152, where it should be, and covered the vessel in blankets.

I am now engaging in RDWHAHB while I mash.

I will report on the efficiency when I am finished, and post a video at the expense of my pride for the sake of your entertainment and education. :D

Also, all of the vessel switching probably aerated the crap out of my mash. Wonder if I will have picked up significant off-flavors.

Yay! Brew day!

Aeration might matter post-boil and pre-chill, but I would not sweat it pre-boil. Post fermentation, now that's another matter...

Aeration during the mash process?? Don't you normally stir the crap out of it to make sure all the grain is saturated?

No, definitely not a problem.

Yeah I'm sure you're going to be fine man. Aerate away any time before fermentation. I usually get my grains into the bag while my water is heating up to strike temp so I don't do something like that. I've thought of what would happen if I did that and I didn't like the visions I was getting :D

Did my first AG BIAB brew this week too and I had the same vision of going ahead and dumping the grist in the pot without the bag so I added a line to my checklist and made sure I put the bag on top of the milled grain in the bucket. Love the BIAB process. I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches which took 4.5 hours from putting water in the kettle to pitching. Now for the hardest part... waiting.

I just did a partial allgrain...no bag..just mash, after it was allsaid and done...I just scooped out the mash into a ss collinder with the bag cut open laid on top of my bucket...scoop....sparge...squeeze....discard...a few times..then dump wort back into my brewpot...so what do you guys think of adding grain with water ...then add heat until 152 comes along then time the mash...also i stirred the heck out of it whil it was mashing....

RDWHAHB= Relax Don't Worry Have A Home Brew. It's the mantra from Charlie Papazian's classic The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. Good advice under just about any circumstances.

So, to report on my efficiency, I didn't get a good measure on the volume pre-boil, but according to BeerSmith, it was probably between about 75-80% (1.044 G). Really didn't hurt it at all since I calculated based on 70% efficiency. I guess I'll just have a little bit more EtOH!

I do have a lot of extra trub that settled out in my boil kettle and primary though.

For my first all-grain BIAB today, I stared to mash in my single vessel. I started at 157 degrees, accounting for temp loss for grain addition. I mashed in, stirred, and checked the temperature. 152 on the nose. Great!

I stirred and checked for dough balls. Just then, I realized something. I'm supposed to be brewing IN A BAG!...

My bag was in a bucket next to my gas range. I frantically dumped my mash into the bucket, knowing I would suffer some heat and volume loss. I rinsed remaining grains out of the pot with hot water (probably less than half an ounce of grain), and put the bag back into the pot, lifted it onto the stove, and poured the mash water back into the pot. 146 degrees. With the burner on high and stirring constantly I brought the temperature back up to 152, where it should be, and covered the vessel in blankets.

I am now engaging in RDWHAHB while I mash.

I will report on the efficiency when I am finished, and post a video at the expense of my pride for the sake of your entertainment and education. :D

Also, all of the vessel switching probably aerated the crap out of my mash. Wonder if I will have picked up significant off-flavors.

Yay! Brew day!

Now that IS funny!

only thing I would have done differently is wait for the mash was done before putting it back in the bag, as it would saved you some trouble. There was no reason it needs to be in the bag during the mash but you were going to have to put it back into the bag to separate it from the wort.

No worries either way.

RDWHAHB? kids these days :) can't even spell out Papazian's golden rule.

Back