Rating the recipes on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapbrew13

Reaction score
Searched but didn't find the answer.
Is there any way to setup a rating system for the recipes in the recipe database on HBT?
This way, we can brew based on the rating instead of going through the many replies to see if a recipe is worth brewing. Thanks for viewing.

I think replies would give you a better idea as to what folks are thinking about a given recipe than just some amount of stars or something.

I agree but alot of times, there are alot of replies with just general comments instead of replies to how the beer was. Kind of a pain with my crappy slow internet and spotty data services. Grrrr... Why can't I get fios and 4g.

^^ +1. Nobody bothers to reply, "this was a lousy beer, I'm sorry I made it." The vast number of pages devoted to some of the recipes here should be a pretty good indication of how good they are. It has certainly served me well over the last year and a half.

I too look at the number of pages on a thread as an indicator. I can definitely identify with your plight. When I used to be on dial up it was horrible. I think a rating system would be interesting. Are you willing to put in the work to make a HUUGE poll? LOL Can you imagine that!?

I too look at the number of pages on a thread as an indicator. I can definitely identify with your plight. When I used to be on dial up it was horrible. I think a rating system would be interesting. Are you willing to put in the work to make a HUUGE poll? LOL Can you imagine that!?

Hmmm... good point, point system rating bad. Member comments about their finished brew good.

I judge them by the number of comments.

It seems lately there are a lor of people posting untested recipes....Rwcipesthat they brewed or are thinking about brewing but have not tasted yet. Those are just a waste of time.

I judge them by the number of comments.

It seems lately there are a lor of people posting untested recipes....Rwcipesthat they brewed or are thinking about brewing but have not tasted yet. Those are just a waste of time.

If they're in the official recipe archive, and they're untested report it to the mods and they'll move it to the recipe/ingredient section of the forum.

The archive is for tried and true often brewed recipes, not for folks experiments. The idea has always been that you should be able to trust ANY recipe from that area, and people's pull downs,

The recipe ingredients section is where we tweak recipes, posts experiments and discuss them with folks. They're more experimental. I have probably 100 of those threads floating around but only a handful of recipes actually in the archives, I may only officially release one recipe a year to the archives, and that's because to me it needs to be perfect before I put my name on it.

Usually it doesn't go in there til a couple versions have been brewed, it's been judged in a contests, tasted by my fellow brewers, many of whom are bjcp judges, in other words they've kind of been vetted before I stake my rep on them.

One ways quickly to tell if one of the recipes in there has or hasn't been brewed, is to see if the poster filled out ALL the little fields in the form that starts the archiving process.

If the beer hasn't been brewed yet, the FG box will be blank.

Don't hesitate to pm a mod if you see an unvetted recipe in there. A lot of folks don't know the distinction between the recipe/ingredients section and the archive, and the mods will be quick to move the recipe.

I usually post in the thread and ask the poster if they've brewed it or not yet as well, then I'll explain the difference and often they will pm the mods themselves to have the thread moved.

I almost made the mistake of posting a recipe that I was working on to get feedback. I got about a third of the way in and thought that was the wrong approach to getting feedback on the recipe.

I am a researcher type. Heck spent 2 weeks researching a new water heater before I bought one (family was happy when I finally picked one).

I use the posted recipes as a starting point to my recipes.

Back to the reason for the post, ratings is done by personal taste. I prefer less hoppy beers. So I would rate an IPA lower than a Lager.

Unbrewed recipes should be removed by the mods. Report them.

This!

Not just unbrewed recipes but anything that isn't a repeatable proven winner should be removed from the database.

If you find one that isn't brewed more than once, and not a good solid recipe, click the "report this post" button and report it. I have spent a ton of time trying to keep the database a solid resource, and I'd appreciate any help if a recipe doesn't belong in there! Thanks.

Back