Rate the Label / Background

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on my new attached label? Rate on a scale to 1 to 5 (5 being the best).

Just a bit of the background on it. Griepentrog is my last name and its a strong German name obviously so perfect for beer imo. I wanted to get the established date and city/state in there, which I do.

The picture is outside of my hometown and was always the daunting task to ride up "Fire Tower Hill" so has a sentimental value to it --- although I wanted to avoid the Leine's northwoods persona. But I'm just a small time brewer obviously. I plan to change the picture for each different beer. For example I have a cranberry ale I've made and will change the label to red and a picture of a bog.

I created the labels on myownlabel which wasn't horribly priced I guess. About 74 cents a label.

My only concern is I soak when sanitizing so I don't how long these labels will last and it can get pricey to keep buying.

Label.jpg

I like the label and picture but i would reconsider the font on your name, kind of hard to read.

i'd say a solid 2.5...right in the middle

as you know, the font for your name is hard to read. also, you have alot of empty space in your name block. increasing the size and readability of the font for your name and the size of the word brewing would help that.

next, why does it say wisconsin spring water on it? third, the picture of the road might have some meaning to you but its tough when its not readily apparent to a viewer.

the largest problem i see is that i have no idea what kind of beer it is for. you say ale, but there is no indication of what style. that might help to add.

i'd say a solid 2.5...right in the middle

as you know, the font for your name is hard to read. also, you have alot of empty space in your name block. increasing the size and readability of the font for your name and the size of the word brewing would help that.

next, why does it say wisconsin spring water on it? third, the picture of the road might have some meaning to you but its tough when its not readily apparent to a viewer.

the largest problem i see is that i have no idea what kind of beer it is for. you say ale, but there is no indication of what style. that might help to add.

I didn't see a feature to increase the font b/c I also wanted it bigger. The next time I order, or if I do, I may look into that. It seemed like the more letters the more space that was created. So maybe I should look into putting Griepentrog elsewhere.

Wisconsin Spring Water was intended to say that I was using Wisconsin Spring Water, but looking at it now it may be confusing that it is actually Wisconsin Spring Water, lol. It was filler letter that I didn't want to waste and wasn't the best choice to put there. :)

I didn't put a specific beer on this one b/c I wanted to make a generic label that I could slap on any beer I make and then identify by the bottle cap. I didn't want to order 80 labels for a beer that I may only make once. It was a deal the more you order, the better deal you got.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you majority of you create your labels with your own programs or do you have a recommended site? I used myownlabel as I saw it in a copy of BYO. I'm definitely open to better options (or cheaper). Printing at home really isn't an option for me though.

As someone said before the font needs some work.

Also for me the hand crafted ale being rotated to one side kind of makes me want to turn my head a little. The bottom doesn't bother me because it fills the space.

I like the Pic, colors, layout.

2.5 stars

Since you agree the font needs work...how 'bout an update?

I'd like to see the new label! Everything else was great!

I'll have to agree on the font for your name being tough to read. Seems like the traditional thing to do with the gothic font, at least with most ancient texts, has been to use it for the 1st letter only, using a different, though complimentary font for the rest of the text. That might be an option for you.

The only other thing I noticed was the lack of a beer style; is it a pale ale, a nut brown, a doppelbock, etc...

I do like the lcl pic idea & the pic does look good, I'm a big fan of using actual photos for labels. Colors are good & complimentary to the pic. Overall, I'll have to give it a 3.
Regards, GF.

As someone said before the font needs some work.

Also for me the hand crafted ale being rotated to one side kind of makes me want to turn my head a little. The bottom doesn't bother me because it fills the space.

I like the Pic, colors, layout.

2.5 stars

I was going to say the same thing, rotate everything from the left up, otherwise i feel like a confused dog while looking at it.

You also might want to consider stepping up the saturization of the colors a bit

I wish I could do more with it. I used a website and I liked how everything turned out BUT they don't give you the ability to like change the font, font colors, etc. I'm kind of looking at other options. I like that beer labelizer that is sticked but options are kind of limited there and it involves me either going to Kinkos or print/cutting myself.

General rule of thumb with fonts

-when using blackletter or script fonts, never use all caps.
-avoid using more than 2 or 3 fonts per design.

I don't know what options the site gives you, but if you can remove the blackletter font all together. I really don't think it does anything for the overall design or appearance.

i'd give it a 4/5.

what's keeping it from a perfect 5, IMO, is the old english font for the name. It's perfect for the "EST"... but for the name, the letters are a tad too close to each other. obviously readability is lower, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. but I would increase the spacing between letters a bit. or consider using all lower-case. there is an old typography rule that says you should NEVER use all-cap with blackfaces (old english)... but typographists are a picky bunch.

i'll say this, your label def makes me want to try your beer

Back