Raspberrypints, Pi3, Buster, Arduino Mega 2560 setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetlag777

Reaction score
Hi all.. been looking through the forum and seen many ways that show certain setups of Raspberrypints. I have so far spent many hours trying to setup Raspberrypints with flowmeters. I have installed Buster on Pi3 all working ok.... Then enter Raspberrypints into terminal window. (RandR+ version). All goes in correctly. I have set up Arduino Mega 2560 with altered in file. ie changed baud rate to 57600.. and also set pins as required. 8,9,10,11. I have also gone through steps as stated to link the Pi3 to recognise the Arduino but doesn't seem to link up. Via the Arduino IDE menu to Serial Monitor the flowmeters are working and the Arduino is working.. Can anyone give a walk through of how to link the Pi3 and Arduino. I have tried many suggestions from this forum but to no avail. I have setup the Raspberrypints ie pin in Taps and pulses per liter together with going through all the personalization settings. Thanks all any help appreciated.. not a novice but not an expert somewhere in the middle.

Hi... I have gone through the walk through but the Buster and for that the Raspberrypints folders are different to those stated. Also cannot find in the Buster version with Raspberrypints v2.0.1 on it has totally different lines to alter... some that need to be changed are not there.

Is there a walk through explanation for the Buster with Raspberrypints v2.... theyre is not LXsession folder on Buster with v2 rASPBERRYPINTS.

I went through the same troubles with using a Mega. It works if you call the correct PCINT pins (different reference than the Uno) and set baud rate to 115200. 57600 doesn't work, which might be your issue. You'll need to set this in the sketch and flowmon.py(?) config file located in the var/www/html folder. Reboot the Pi and Arduino. Might also have to "sudo touch raspberrypints.cpp.hex" file in the Arduino folder so that it doesn't re-write the Arduino upon load. It assumes a manual program if the .ino file is newer than the .hex file.

See this post and this post from the thread that day_trippr mentioned. I am using pins 11, 12, 51, and 53.

I'm going off of memory here (and a few Peak Autumn IPAs), so I might be slightly off. If you can't get it going I can look into my setup to guide you further. I would start with the baud rate change in your case.

I went through the same troubles with using a Mega. It works if you call the correct PCINT pins (different reference than the Uno) and set baud rate to 115200. 57600 doesn't work, which might be your issue. You'll need to set this in the sketch and flowmon.py(?) config file located in the var/www/html folder. Reboot the Pi and Arduino. Might also have to "sudo touch raspberrypints.cpp.hex" file in the Arduino folder so that it doesn't re-write the Arduino upon load. It assumes a manual program if the .ino file is newer than the .hex file.

See this post and this post from the thread that day_trippr mentioned. I am using pins 11, 12, 51, and 53.

I'm going off of memory here (and a few Peak Autumn IPAs), so I might be slightly off. If you can't get it going I can look into my setup to guide you further. I would start with the baud rate change in your case.

Hi

Appreciated for your guidance... all helps and good to know likeminded people on this forum.

Will advise on my outcome... may need to "tap you up" for more info.

Cheers Bassicrob 🍺

Hi all is not going well...

Raspberrypints Installed

ARDUINO Mega 2560 ino altered to 115200 baud rate and pins set to 2.3.10.11

Now the really annoying part.... Doing all that I have been told to do but seems the files are different ie flow_monitor.py is actually FlowMonitor.py

and when I go into FlowMonitor.py to alter certain settings they are not there

Just to explain now that the Arduino IIDE serial monitor not showing a count.... set to USB0

The problem being the link up between the Arduino and the Raspberrypints......

Any chance you could look through your setup and explain what you have

Near the end of my tether with this... I thought kegbot was bad.... but spent 5 days trying to adapt Raspberrypints Buster Arduino Mega 250 to link up thanks guys

What is your connection between the Pi and Arduino? Are you using USB or the RX/TX pins? If using the RX/TX, the port in the Config.py should be '/dev/ttyS0'. If using USB, you need to figure out what your USB port is. The port would look something like '/dev/ttyACM0'. You can issue a lsusb -l to see what port it is. Run first without plugging in the Arduino and then again with it plugged in, note any changes in assignment.

For your flowmeter pin mappings, I am not sure if you are calling the pin number as marked on the board, or the Physical Pin number. You should be using the pin number as marked on the board. In that case, pins 2 & 3 are not PCINT capable and won't result in a pour. Pins 10 & 11 are ok to use. I would change from pins 2 & 3 as that may be affecting your communications and would not work in the sketch. See the board mapping in my post here.

PS - If you're headless, check out MobaXterm (edit) to SSH into the Pi. Makes command line and file access a breeze!

Last edited:
Just to explain now that the Arduino IIDE serial monitor not showing a count.... set to USB0

...one other thing to remember is you cannot have serial monitor in IDE open at same time as trying to establish communication with the Pi. Only 1 serial connection at a time will work, so rpints won't log if IDE serial monitor is open simultaneously

Back