Raspberry Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyk

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just got back into brewing again and done my first all grain lager, last week. It's nearly ready for sampling :D

I am hoping to get a raspberry lager made in the next few weeks. When is the best time to add the raspberry flavour?

(I am going to use raspberry juice - http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/raspberry-juice.html).

I see some add this when you bottle and some add in the second fermenting stage. What do people recommend is the best way?

Cheers,
John

When I use flavors like that, I usually wait until bottling, then I dilute a few drops of flavor into water, draw off 4 samples or so, and add drops with a pipette into each sample. Pick which flavor you like the best, then you can calculate how much you need in your bottling bucket.

I.e. 10ml of raspberry + 100ml of water in your diluted test mixture. You decide you like the flavor of 6 drops (or about 6ml) in a 4 ounce sample, so that would = .6ml of flavor per 4 ounces, 640 ounces in 5 gallons means 96ml for 5 gallons. (Sorry to keep switching the units on you, ml to oz to US gal.)

That's just an example, testing is important because those flavors can come in a wide variety of strengths.

Latest posts

Back