Raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

radtek

Reaction score
I'm thawing out 24oz of rasperries that I'm planning on introducing to a keg of year-old soured Abbey ale (wlp530).

The plan is to puree the fruit, strain and add the juice. The pulp will go into a mesh bag and then maybe into the keg as well.

I realize I'm using about 1/5 of what normally would be required in secondary. I'm hoping I'll get some flavor out of this.

Any thoughts?

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Expect fermentation to start up again, albeit ever so slightly. Is the keg full?

OP
radtek

radtek

Reaction score
I lost half a pint out of the keg when adding the "squeezins"! It foamed up like crazy and I had to lock the lid down!

Learned something... Yep the keg was basically full.

Also I'll be surprised if the amount I used ill impart a dramatic change in flavor due to a few taste tests I conducted.

ericd

Reaction score
The rule of thumb I've found is at least 1 lb of fruit and 0.5 oz extract per gallon to get a good fruit flavor, and this was in a light wheat beer. So I think you'd need a looooooooooot more for yours. Also, some fruits benefit from being added in the boil which will caramelize some of their sugars which intensifies their flavors.