Raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radtek

Reaction score
I'm thawing out 24oz of rasperries that I'm planning on introducing to a keg of year-old soured Abbey ale (wlp530).

The plan is to puree the fruit, strain and add the juice. The pulp will go into a mesh bag and then maybe into the keg as well.

I realize I'm using about 1/5 of what normally would be required in secondary. I'm hoping I'll get some flavor out of this.

Any thoughts?

I lost half a pint out of the keg when adding the "squeezins"! It foamed up like crazy and I had to lock the lid down!

Learned something... Yep the keg was basically full.

Also I'll be surprised if the amount I used ill impart a dramatic change in flavor due to a few taste tests I conducted.

The rule of thumb I've found is at least 1 lb of fruit and 0.5 oz extract per gallon to get a good fruit flavor, and this was in a light wheat beer. So I think you'd need a looooooooooot more for yours. Also, some fruits benefit from being added in the boil which will caramelize some of their sugars which intensifies their flavors.

Back