Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your spelling skillz ain't great...

1685941141573.png

Had something similar with my lawn sprinklers. Went to turn them on for the summer and water oozing out of the ground.. took some digging to find the cracked pipe...easy fix but not fun trying to find it

Never a sight you want to see on the main 2-1/2" feed out to two rows of orchard irrigation lines. that's taken after the pressure was cut. under pressure it was gushing out at 2-3 gal/min

View attachment 821728

We've had thin smoke wander over us a few times the last couple of weeks but it seems the New York/NJ area is getting whaled by comparison. My oldest son lives in northern NJ and typically rides a bicycle to work, but he came home hacking up a lung yesterday and decided to drive today. No bueno.

Looking at the forecast it appears that prevailing conditions will continue with the NY/NJ metro region getting pounded while the New England area might continue to be largely spared...

Cheers!

[edit] It's weird that after 3 years of wearing masks indoors some folks are best served wearing them outdoors now...

Last edited:
"Help me paint a door" they said.
Ok. I'm no contractor/painter genius but my late Dad taught me a few home repair things.
First sign of trouble: "Why are taking the door off the hinges?"
Um, to lay it down and make it easier.
Second sign of trouble: "I've opened the paint"
Yeah, let's remove the hardware and clean it up a bit. "Why?"
Heavy sign.
Third sign of trouble: this was the striker plate, or rather the absence of said same:
1686434625864.png

Followed by a quick look at the door:
1686434655103.png

I started drinking at that point.

"Help me paint a door" they said.
Ok. I'm no contractor/painter genius but my late Dad taught me a few home repair things.
First sign of trouble: "Why are taking the door off the hinges?"
Um, to lay it down and make it easier.
Second sign of trouble: "I've opened the paint"
Yeah, let's remove the hardware and clean it up a bit. "Why?"
Heavy sign.
Third sign of trouble: this was the striker plate, or rather the absence of said same:View attachment 822120
Followed by a quick look at the door:
View attachment 822121

I started drinking at that point.
Tbh replacing striker plates and chests are done in a hurry, given that you actually have a new chest and plate at home, wich by the sound of it they don't...

Moving a hop plant is no joke... I can only imagine what a PITA it would have been if I'd let it grow another year in the original spot. Cut of some bines to let the 4 largest ones grow up.
But now the one of 4 that survived winter is placed in a better spot, and 2 more old breed hops are growing in pots inside to be planted soon. Gotta be extra vigilant this fall to make sure the rhizome crowns are properly covered as I suspect that was what killed the ones who didn't make it.

Next project is clearing out the brush land and using some of those smaller spruces to make a pole and rope trellis...

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_085819.jpg
    IMG_20230611_085819.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230611_090652.jpg
    IMG_20230611_090652.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230611_090708.jpg
    IMG_20230611_090708.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Moving a hop plant is no joke... I can only imagine what a PITA it would have been if I'd let it grow another year in the original spot. Cut of some bines to let the 4 largest ones grow up.
But now the one of 4 that survived winter is placed in a better spot, and 2 more old breed hops are growing in pots inside to be planted soon. Gotta be extra vigilant this fall to make sure the rhizome crowns are properly covered as I suspect that was what killed the ones who didn't make it.

Next project is clearing out the brush land and using some of those smaller spruces to make a pole and rope trellis...
I moved my hops plants when we moved across our state 4 years ago. I had 200L trash barrels that would only hold 2 or 3. They were huge root systems, and I'm sure the people who bought our house are still fighting the odd vines that come up all over that part of our yard.

The berries, flowering bushes & tress, went crazy this year.

I fear how that portends for the 5 black walnut tees in my yard, and it makes my lower back twitch

noticed these on a neighbor's tree the other day. figured they are some kind of cherry

View attachment 822410
I don't see a red blush on those, so likely not Rainier or Royal Anne (Queen Anne)

Might be Nugent, another variety of sweet cherries that makes a good pollinizer as well as fruit bearer

Back