Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green grass and a rainbow. It must finally be spring on the frozen tundra.
146522E8-9727-4DBB-AEF3-C20D33F70100.jpeg

Have had lots of time over the last 10 days observing "nature" around the property while waiting to get this stupid leg brace off. The annual Eastern Phoebe nest building under our 2nd story deck proceeded to where the "Missus" had one nest all set to go only to discover a parasite House Finch had dropped some eggs in it. So she immediately abandoned that nest to build a second, and as of today she had totally over-achieved in the egg laying department.

5phoebe_eggs.jpg

Meanwhile - no pictures of this - a Robin had built a nest in the crown of a foundation shrub barely 3 feet from a bedroom window and had hatched five chicks last Thursday. Things were proceeding well until the nest was apparently raided and emptied by a hawk this morning, leaving a single feather below.

Then all day today we've had a fantastic maple tree spinner fall - just clouds of the spinners coming down like snow - and collecting in windrows on our little pond. I looked out there around noon and there were two pairs of Mallards scooping the seeds off the surface like so much candy. And an hour later noticed a Canada Goose couple with their half-dozen kiddies had walked to our pond from one a 1/4 mile north (as is pretty common here) and stopped by for dining and rest.

Not a great pic shot from 100 feet away. One Mallard couple is to the right of the geese and goslings.

pondbirds.jpg

To top off the afternoon's wildlife entertainment a local River Otter traveled through the street drain from the same pond the geese had walked from and popped out of the overflow pipe to tour the pond for a snack. All the birds got out of the water until the otter left, which wasn't long as the otters had cleaned out pretty much everything in the pond weeks ago...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Those look like flowers, not weeds.

Me
AKA Husband Who Manages To Pull Flowers Not Weed All The Time
Those are flowers, native and non native poppies mostly. The really bad weeds are on the backside of the garage. My FIL put a layer of asphalt on the courtyard that causes flooding into the old farm kitchen so my pickaxe and I will bust that up. We'll build a short wall and bring in topsoil to level the courtyard so rain soaks in instead of running off.

For youngun's...

And the sign said
"Long-haired freaky people
Need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat
And I went in to ask him why
He said, "You look like a fine upstandin' young man
I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat and said, "Imagine that
Huh, me workin' for you"
Whoa

Sign, sign