Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate LinkedIn recruiters who DM me and it’s clear they have no idea what I do for a living.

My most common response is, “I’m not that kind of engineer.”

My son, at one month into his second job out of college, got a call from a linked in recruiter trying to fill his boss's boss's job. My son's response was, "I would love to have that job, but just out of curiosity do you actually know how to read?"

Random thoughts after my first beer of the day (waaay late cuz of the following).

So...today we had Verizon over to do a whole house upgrade of our ancient FiOS installation, going from 100mbit to gigabit internet (both symmetric which is awesome) with a new gateway/router, replacing our old dual-tuner multi-room 200GB DVR with a 6 tuner "Verizon Media Server" with a 1TB hard drive, and replacing all four satellite STBs.

First tech shows up a half hour early, but can't get off Square 1 because the "System View" Verizon services app he needed to decommission the old gear and activate the new was down. He stuck around for 15 minutes, still couldn't get the app to work, his office had no idea when it would be back up, so he bailed - still not even in the scheduled window. Fridays suck when it comes to service, everyone wants to beat the traffic home early.

Anyway, I get on chat with Verizon and actually got someone helpful, who managed to find a pair of techs that could show up later in the day. And indeed they did, but holy cow, other than delivering the hardware needed, these two dudes had absolutely no idea how anything is supposed to work. I had already read up on all of the "self install" instructions and what these two wanted me to do wasn't found anywhere in the corporate docs. On top of that they kept questioning my infrastructure - which was working perfectly to every end node throughout the house when they got there. They also didn't think their fancy new gateway could have its LAN side set for any other class C subnet space than 192.168.1.xxx, which if true would require me to change something like 40 nodes worth of static LAN addresses. F*ck that!

So I had to power right through the two of them: hooked the new gateway up myself, spent some time pawing through the settings to make it compatible with my network topology (I have my own downstream gigabit router and switches and repeaters all in a unique class C subnet), then installed the media server and got that working, and finally we got all of the satellites working. Took a couple of hours, a good half of that talking my way through the two nimrods.

But all's well that ends well, and I have to say symmetric gigabit service rocks, and the new tv/streaming/media server & client set up is really good: up to 6 simultaneous recordings, any tv can pause live television without affecting any other tv, can stream services like Netflix, and on and on. Plus the media server and satellite STBs are paperback book size now and run off small wall warts instead of the beasts of old that consumed lots o' watts of line power and ran hot as heck.

Finally, particularly because this was literally a no-cost upgrade - same monthly bill and no one-time charges - I would already recommend the upgrade - if one can do the work themselves and not be left to the tender mercies of under-qualified technicians :)

Cheers!

[edit] I tried to purchase an extra voice remote for the new system but Verizon's web site wouldn't let me "check out" with the remote in my "cart" and had to go to Chat to get it done. I have no idea how that company survives...

Last edited:
I call them my Smurf feet
IMG_9733.jpeg

Random thoughts after my first beer of the day (waaay late cuz of the following).

So...today we had Verizon over to do a whole house upgrade of our ancient FiOS installation, going from 100mbit to gigabit internet (both symmetric which is awesome) with a new gateway/router, replacing our old dual-tuner multi-room 200GB DVR with a 6 tuner "Verizon Media Server" with a 1TB hard drive, and replacing all four satellite STBs.

First tech shows up a half hour early, but can't get off Square 1 because the "System View" Verizon services app he needed to decommission the old gear and activate the new was down. He stuck around for 15 minutes, still couldn't get the app to work, his office had no idea when it would be back up, so he bailed - still not even in the scheduled window. Fridays suck when it comes to service, everyone wants to beat the traffic home early.

Anyway, I get on chat with Verizon and actually got someone helpful, who managed to find a pair of techs that could show up later in the day. And indeed they did, but holy cow, other than delivering the hardware needed, these two dudes had absolutely no idea how anything is supposed to work. I had already read up on all of the "self install" instructions and what these two wanted me to do wasn't found anywhere in the corporate docs. On top of that they kept questioning my infrastructure - which was working perfectly to every end node throughout the house when they got there. They also didn't think their fancy new gateway could have its LAN side set for any other class C subnet space than 192.168.1.xxx, which if true would require me to change something like 40 nodes worth of static LAN addresses. F*ck that!

So I had to power right through the two of them: hooked the new gateway up myself, spent some time pawing through the settings to make it compatible with my network topology (I have my own downstream gigabit router and switches and repeaters all in a unique class C subnet), then installed the media server and got that working, and finally we got all of the satellites working. Took a couple of hours, a good half of that talking my way through the two nimrods.

But all's well that ends well, and I have to say symmetric gigabit service rocks, and the new tv/streaming/media server & client set up is really good: up to 6 simultaneous recordings, any tv can pause live television without affecting any other tv, can stream services like Netflix, and on and on. Plus the media server and satellite STBs are paperback book size now and run off small wall warts instead of the beasts of old that consumed lots o' watts of line power and ran hot as heck.

Finally, particularly because this was literally a no-cost upgrade - same monthly bill and no one-time charges - I would already recommend the upgrade - if one can do the work themselves and not be left to the tender mercies of under-qualified technicians :)

Cheers!

[edit] I tried to purchase an extra voice remote for the new system but Verizon's web site wouldn't let me "check out" with the remote in my "cart" and had to go to Chat to get it done. I have no idea how that company survives...
Judging by the ever declining stock price, they are dying a slow death.

got a new phone.

I want to use a unique ringtone for each of my contacts. a recording of them saying "**whatever they call me**, answer your **curse word of their choice** phone!"

(S23 Ultra, in case no one asked. I love it. it's an awesome camera with a decent phone attached to it)

Don't you just hate it when you have to cold chisel your way through disassembling the lamp post light fixture due to corrosion, but when you reassemble with new socket, you're able to make it just fine and dandy because you bought an isht ton of SS fender washers for some brewing gear reason you can't even recall?

Oh yeah. Brew gear purchase FTW.

anyone: we're going on vacation!

me: awesome! have fun, stay safe & tell everyone I said "hi!"

(tickles me particularly when the boss says he's taking his family to China)

I just saw a rant against drinking “plant based beer” and it was not a parody.

Which one of you broke the space-time continuum?

Just the ever growing malaise of uberstupidity leaking into the water table. Although I will have to admit that I accidentally recently installed the batteries in reverse in my Firestick remote.

So. There's that.

Things that make me laugh - young comedian trying to make fun of audience member pronouncing the 13th element of the peiodic table the British way, grabbing his phone to look it up to chastise them, only to find out it is perfectly acceptable to have the extra "i".

about that 13th element...

let's look at the other elements in the table, more specifically; the ones ending in the letters "UM"

there are 75 of them.

71 of those elements' names end in "IUM" so, by majority, the 13th should be pronounced "al u min i um"

only 3 end in NUM, so...

about that 13th element...

let's look at the other elements in the table, more specifically; the ones ending in the letters "UM"

there are 75 of them.

71 of those elements' names end in "IUM" so, by majority, the 13th should be pronounced "al u min i um"

only 3 end in NUM, so...
Kinda goin' all "Mean Brews" on periodic table names, eh?

you mean the way a former President pronounced it?

not the AF pilot, talking about the Navy nuclear engineering officer who pronounced it NUC U LAR

you mean the way a former President pronounced it?

not the AF pilot, talking about the Navy nuclear engineering officer who pronounced it NUC U LAR
I really don't want to get political, otherwise I'd post W's speech to Iraq the eve before the invasion, but dubbed with this dialog:

The phrase "what the entire f*ck" implies the existence of fractional f*cks.

"what the absolute f*ck" implies the existence of positive and negative f*cks.

"what the actual f*ck" implies existence of imaginary f*cks.

Conclusion: f*ckery is isomorphic with the complex field.

The phrase "what the entire f*ck" implies the existence of fractional f*cks.

"what the absolute f*ck" implies the existence of positive and negative f*cks.

"what the actual f*ck" implies existence of imaginary f*cks.

Conclusion: f*ckery is isomorphic with the complex field.
Thank You!!! Now my life makes sense!

Back