Random Brewing Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh. Interesting times in the microbiology part of brewing.

Yup. I copped 2 and confirmed there isn't a 1 vial limit. Finna try my hand at a saaz hazebro. (50 min mash/30 min boil - 190 and 145 whirlpool) They also have a kveik blend with this strain available.

So that kveik beer I was worried about yesterday is chugging along nicely. Brewing an Imperial IPA today because I had a shitload of hops left and I had nothing to do. Figure I'll just pitch some krausen from yesterday's brew. Productive easter weekend!

855053f0ee.jpg

46399294.jpg

For them hoppy bois:

https://www.theyeastbay.com/beta-release-cultures/metschnikowia-reukaufii

EDIT: I recall hornydevil mentioning something similar to try as a new hopping method.

Huh. Interesting times in the microbiology part of brewing.

A lot of these microbes that liberate high levels of aglycones seem to be maltose negative, so, like it says in that link, you need to pitch "normal" brewer's yeast to finish your fermentation. Not sure about the microbe in question, but they also tend to have strong esterase activity which can lead to high levels of ethyl acetate (nail polish remover/acetone) if fermented at high temperatures.

A lot of these microbes that liberate high levels of aglycones seem to be maltose negative, so, like it says in that link, you need to pitch "normal" brewer's yeast to finish your fermentation. Not sure about the microbe in question, but they also tend to have strong esterase activity which can lead to high levels of ethyl acetate (nail polish remover/acetone) if fermented at high temperatures.

Do you pitch at the same time or stagger them?

Wheels been turning in my brain regarding
metschnikowia-reukaufii...

I wonder how this would work if I were to blend grape must or organic fruit juice into some wort....

I'm re-reading Farmhouse Ales and I came across a section that made me realize how far yeast science has come along since 2004. The section says, "...So isn't it possible that some yeast strains may still work cleanly or even produce desirable esters at temperatures in excess of 75º or even 85º F?" If only Phil knew about Kviek

I'm re-reading Farmhouse Ales and I came across a section that made me realize how far yeast science has come along since 2004. The section says, "...So isn't it possible that some yeast strains may still work cleanly or even produce desirable esters at temperatures in excess of 75º or even 85º F?" If only Phil knew about Kviek
He should have talked to Blaugies more for that book. They pitch at 85.

That's why books are a terrible medium to present info in a modern age. Online resources can easily be updated as new information becomes available.

That's why books are a terrible medium to present info in a modern age. Online resources can easily be updated as new information becomes available.

Definitely agree.

I bought all those books when they came out. Wasn't easy to find that info online at the time.

A different book I have is Noonans lager book. I'm not anywhere near as serious as some of you are, but I've never seen an online resource on the specifics of malt anywhere near as detailed as in that book.

does anyone know if kveik works better under pitched @ brewhouse capacity as well?

IDK about better, but 1 million per ml is the standard pitch for most. You probably got around 7 million from a lab. Unless they already cut the number. Might want to contact the lab.

I did a 500ml starter with a homebrew pack in it. It ripped through 4bbl in a couple days. Justin who did the MTF blend used a single vial in 4bbl and it worked great.

IDK about better, but 1 million per ml is the standard pitch for most. You probably got around 7 million from a lab. Unless they already cut the number. Might want to contact the lab.

I did a 500ml starter with a homebrew pack in it. It ripped through 4bbl in a couple days. Justin who did the MTF blend used a single vial in 4bbl and it worked great.

Dayuuum! A single vial as in a homebrew vial???

Going to take a crack at my first pilsner (and first lager) this weekend. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? I'm looking for something similar to a classic German Pils like Flensburger.
I've got a few that I enjoy. Pretty different styles.

Augschburger (more classic, slightly complicated recipe, very long mash schedule although that's easily tweaked):

90% Pilsner malt
10% Munich malt

Mash (13 Plato):

35°C - 15 min
45°C - 30 min
63°C - 40 min
70°C - 15 min
75°C - 15 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 45 IBU, charge is split 1:1:2 between 70 min, 20 min, and whirlpool.
Recipe calls for Opal (very clean bitterness) but last time I subbed a mix of Tettnang and Hersbrucker and it was great.

Fermentation with Saflager W-34/70 or yeast of your choice.

Classic (still very classic style but a simpler single-infusion recipe. Hop character is fruitier than the Opal version above).

94% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Victory malt

Mash (12.5 Plato):

65°C - 60 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 40 IBU. Most of the bitterness comes from German Magnum at 60 min, followed by a bit of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 10 min, and another charge of Hallertau in the whirlpool.

Playita Pils (my house pilsner, not Reinheitsgebot-compliant but delicious. Crisp, smooth, citrus/spicy/grassy character.)

91% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Munich
3% Wheat

Mash (12 Plato):

62°C - 30 min
71°C - 30 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 35 IBU. Large charge of German Magnum at 60 min, then Hersbrucker at 5 min, and Saphir in the whirlpool. Dry hop with more Saphir about 5-7 days before packaging.

Those recipes look great. I just do a single infusion at 152F for the Czech pils though. Stick with 150-152F if you're lazy.
Yeah, I'm sure the Augschburger mash is overkill but that's the exact recipe I got for a clone and it's great whenever I make it. That's why I brew the classic sometimes, it's just as good and takes 2 hours less to make.

I've got a few that I enjoy. Pretty different styles.

Augschburger (more classic, slightly complicated recipe, very long mash schedule although that's easily tweaked):

90% Pilsner malt
10% Munich malt

Mash (13 Plato):

35°C - 15 min
45°C - 30 min
63°C - 40 min
70°C - 15 min
75°C - 15 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 45 IBU, charge is split 1:1:2 between 70 min, 20 min, and whirlpool.
Recipe calls for Opal (very clean bitterness) but last time I subbed a mix of Tettnang and Hersbrucker and it was great.

Classic (still very classic style but a simpler single-infusion recipe. Hop character is fruitier than the Opal version above).

94% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Victory malt

Mash (12.5 Plato):

65°C - 60 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 40 IBU. Most of the bitterness comes from German Magnum at 60 min, followed by a bit of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 10 min, and another charge of Hallertau in the whirlpool.

Playita Pils (my house pilsner, not Reinheitsgebot-compliant but delicious. Crisp, smooth, citrus/spicy/grassy character.)

91% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Munich
3% Wheat

Mash (12 Plato):

62°C - 30 min
71°C - 30 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 35 IBU. Large charge of German Magnum at 60 min, then Hersbrucker at 5 min, and Saphir in the whirlpool. Dry hop with more Saphir about 5-7 days before packaging.

These all look great thank you! I might have to make a decision based on hop availability, but it sounds like I can't go wrong.

Those recipes look great. I just do a single infusion at 152F for the Czech pils though. Stick with 150-152F if you're lazy.

This was my plan as well, don't want to overcomplicate it.

These all look great thank you! I might have to make a decision based on hop availability, but it sounds like I can't go wrong.

This was my plan as well, don't want to overcomplicate it.
In my opinion the second recipe is a good choice, the Noble hops will give you different characters but they are pretty interchangeable and they'll all make some tasty pilsners. I like Magnum for its clean bitterness and then I play around with the aroma/whirlpool hops.

My pils is pretty simple/straightforward

10lbs Weyermann Barke Pils
mash at 150

1oz of a blend of Tettnang and Hallertau in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil
1oz Tettnang/Hallertau in the whirlpool
Magnum at 90 minutes to give ~40ibu

Ferment w/ 34/70, pitch at 48 with the temp control set to 50. Five days each at 50 and 55 followed by two days each at 60 and 65, then lager for at least two weeks.

I'm drinking a homemade iced tea lemonade concoction at home and it's given me the urge/inspiration to do a hoppy blonde ale, potentially finished with some Earl Grey tea. Anyone have any good recipe suggestions here? Mostly wondering what would be a good amount of tea to use without overdoing it. I figure a pretty standard American blonde ale recipe would work, just hopped a bit more aggressively and then dry-hopped. But would welcome any thoughts here. Aiming for a 10 gallon batch.

I'm drinking a homemade iced tea lemonade concoction at home and it's given me the urge/inspiration to do a hoppy blonde ale, potentially finished with some Earl Grey tea. Anyone have any good recipe suggestions here? Mostly wondering what would be a good amount of tea to use without overdoing it. I figure a pretty standard American blonde ale recipe would work, just hopped a bit more aggressively and then dry-hopped. But would welcome any thoughts here. Aiming for a 10 gallon batch.

I've thought about doing an Arnold Palmer beer ever since having Shooter McGavin from Noble Ale Works back in the day. Never brewed it up, but the recipe was an 4-5% American blonde with lemon zest and black tea in secondary. Lemon juice and lactose to taste in the keg.

Why aggressively hop it? If you're adding black tea, you'll get some astringency to balance it out.

I've thought about doing an Arnold Palmer beer ever since having Shooter McGavin from Noble Ale Works back in the day. Never brewed it up, but the recipe was an 4-5% American blonde with lemon zest and black tea in secondary. Lemon juice and lactose to taste in the keg.

Why aggressively hop it? If you're adding black tea, you'll get some astringency to balance it out.

I meant more late-hopping and dry-hopping. I was going to use citra or galaxy or something along those lines to give it a citrusy hop flavor.

What kind of ratios did you have in mind on the tea/zest/juice/lactose? Sounds like a nice idea.

I meant more late-hopping and dry-hopping. I was going to use citra or galaxy or something along those lines to give it a citrusy hop flavor.

What kind of ratios did you have in mind on the tea/zest/juice/lactose? Sounds like a nice idea.

Gotcha...I personally don’t find Citra all that citrusy and would hate to waste Galaxy on anything that doesn’t showcase the hop. I’d go with no/low bittering hops and Amarillo/Cascade in the whirlpool. 2oz lemon zest(for a 5gal batch) after fermentation is almost done. Rack to keg and tea bag it until it extracts enough astringency...maybe 2oz bagged and check it every 12 hours?

As for the lactose/lemon juice...I’d just dose a glass to taste and then scale up from there.

Back