Random Brewing Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my daly palmer is a lemon zested cream ale with steeped black tea. Hopped with just a flameout addition of sorachi ace to ~15 IBUs, add lemon zest post-fermentation, and steep black tea than rack. I think I used 2lbs for 7bbl for about 5 hours.
Man that sounds tasty. I'll have to try it sometime for sure.

I'm drinking a homemade iced tea lemonade concoction at home and it's given me the urge/inspiration to do a hoppy blonde ale, potentially finished with some Earl Grey tea. Anyone have any good recipe suggestions here? Mostly wondering what would be a good amount of tea to use without overdoing it. I figure a pretty standard American blonde ale recipe would work, just hopped a bit more aggressively and then dry-hopped. But would welcome any thoughts here. Aiming for a 10 gallon batch.

3oz for dry tea'ing. Treat the beer like a cold brew, rack to keg when flavor preference is achieved.

Just bottled up another batch of mixed culture saison. This one, though, I decided to get into bottles early and condition entirely in bottles as opposed to my PET secondary.

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.000
Fermented out with Mainiacal Farmhouse Fever (+ Belle + Tilquin/Girardin dregs added on day 5)

5 weeks brew day to bottling. Carbed to 2.5 vol with champagne yeast (Bob Sylvester method). Sample tasted mostly like a clean saison -- Some peach/lemon zest/lemongrass and subtle black pepper and maybe hay. Not bad, but can't wait to see what it develops into in 6+ months

Overall I so far learned that I don't really care for Belle as a saison strain, as I can definitely see what it brings to the table in this fresh sample

Ok I completely take back what I said, and I think this is going to be my new main method for mixed culture saisons moving forward lol. Belle seems like an awesome go to for quickly getting to terminal as a secondary yeast. At 4 weeks in the bottle this is drinking pretty incredible. So clean. Can't wait to see how it continues to develop with time too.
I8oP9UM.jpg

Ok I completely take back what I said, and I think this is going to be my new main method for mixed culture saisons moving forward lol. Belle seems like an awesome go to for quickly getting to terminal as a secondary yeast. At 4 weeks in the bottle this is drinking pretty incredible. So clean. Can't wait to see how it continues to develop with time too.
I8oP9UM.jpg

I do this with almost all of my mixed culture beers. Pretty much any diastaticus yeast works, I just keep packets of dried yeast to sprinkle in with my brett and lab cultures. I keep some blends around that are already mixed that work well. I think the extended aging in package is a major key. I like it a lot better than bulk aging.

I do this with almost all of my mixed culture beers. Pretty much any diastaticus yeast works, I just keep packets of dried yeast to sprinkle in with my brett and lab cultures. I keep some blends around that are already mixed that work well. I think the extended aging in package is a major key. I like it a lot better than bulk aging.

Yea I took this idea from you haha, should’ve given you credit. But yea man I’m loving this method! After a few acetic batches in the past, and having no way to flush with CO2, this just works so well for me. So clean and bright now, but I’m sure so much aging potential in the bottle too. Can’t wait to see where this batch goes

Last edited:
I've actually been testing out a way to push a bit of extra fermentation to flush oxygen out by adding some honey when I transfer vessels with my mix ferm stuff. I need to take a sample but I can report back and see if that idea has worked out.

I've actually been testing out a way to push a bit of extra fermentation to flush oxygen out by adding some honey when I transfer vessels with my mix ferm stuff. I need to take a sample but I can report back and see if that idea has worked out.

I do the same but just use a priming solution.

****ing Aurora fermented my IPA at room temp from 13.5 to 3 in 2 days. It's tasting fantastic with those African hops by the way. Just dry hopped it and will probably keg in a couple days.

with these kviek yeasts hitting term in 2-3 days, what about diacetyl and acetyldehyde take up?

with these kviek yeasts hitting term in 2-3 days, what about diacetyl and acetyldehyde take up?
I'm usually very sensitive to diacetyl and couldn't detect any at room temp. Didn't detect any acetaldehyde either but I did consider that it may be more subtle and hidden by the amount of hops. I was planning on trying the microwave test in a few days.

I had Oslo in my cart last time it was on sale, had someone stop by my desk while I was checking out, became distracted, and it was sold out by the time I remembered about it.

Really wanting to try that yeast out in an IPL style. Hopefully they put another batch up for sale soon.

I had Oslo in my cart last time it was on sale, had someone stop by my desk while I was checking out, became distracted, and it was sold out by the time I remembered about it.

Really wanting to try that yeast out in an IPL style. Hopefully they put another batch up for sale soon.
I got lucky last drop. Hopefully brewing a batch this weekend with it. I can dry some out and send it to you if you don’t feel like waiting

I got lucky last drop. Hopefully brewing a batch this weekend with it. I can dry some out and send it to you if you don’t feel like waiting
Appreciated! You don't need to go through all of that hassle for me - it's not like I have any lack of other things that I want to brew.

Anyone know of a link for the full wyeast private collection releases for the year? I'm striking out and trying to see if they are going to do the Danish lager again.

My pitch of Oslo arrived today. Since I don't have the kegerator space for an IPL just yet, I think I'm going to use it co-pitched with lacto first in a Berliner Weiss-style beer.

Definitely going to spin it up in a starter and harvest plenty to play around with this summer. Seems like a great strain for making sure I always have a lawnmower beer tapped.

8QuXISL.jpg

New mash tun, the last one was 7 years old at least. Man, it's gotten a lot easier than the days of piecing together crap from Home Depot. $20 kit from Amazon and a bazooka screen. About $45 all in.

Add a cpvc pipe with drilled holes inside the bazooka tube. Works flawlessly.

I just did Omega Hothead plus Voss paired with their Tropical IPA (Sacch Trois) and got from 1.038 to 1.005 in about two days and down to 1.001 in under a week. It was second generation for the blend, fermented at ~68-70*F, and mashed at 154*F (90/10 mix of pils and oats).

Hothead and Tropical IPA are banging away. Fermentation is going crazy. I have 7.5 gallons fermenting so aggressively it's overflowing my grower the blow off is in.

Been thinking about trying something like this out and keeping it as my primary culture moving forward (something like hothead + sacch trois)... Just curious on both of your experiences re: pitch rates when using a blend of kveik + non-kveik yeast. I was also potentially considering just trying to store both cultures separately (dry the kveik, and just extra slurry for the sacch trois)

Been thinking about trying something like this out and keeping it as my primary culture moving forward (something like hothead + sacch trois)... Just curious on both of your experiences re: pitch rates when using a blend of kveik + non-kveik yeast. I was also potentially considering just trying to store both cultures separately (dry the kveik, and just extra slurry for the sacch trois)

I've done relatively-normal pitch rates but I think you'd be fine underpitching. In my experience the way it seems that fermentation is happening is the kveik domination from the start and getting it about as low as the kveik will go (around 1.008 for us in ~1.040 OG beers) then fermentation dies down a bit and then seems to restart a couple days later with more blowoff, which may be the Trois finishing the job as it then gets down to around 1.000-1.002. We then bottle condition with our house mixed culture.

From some small-scale experimentation, I agree that kveik strains (at least Voss) produce more character with a very low pitch rate. The risk is that the stain will stall given the stressful fermentation conditions. I've successfully gone as low as 20B cells into 5 gallons of 1.050 wort and had the beer finish at 1.012. At the same time, I've seen lots of anecdotal evidence of kveiks stalling with similar pitch rates, so YMMV.

If you wanted more kveik character in the finished beer, maybe give a staggered pitch a try. Underpitch with kveik for the first 24 hours then follow up with a normal pitch rate of trois to prevent stalling.

I've done relatively-normal pitch rates but I think you'd be fine underpitching. In my experience the way it seems that fermentation is happening is the kveik domination from the start and getting it about as low as the kveik will go (around 1.008 for us in ~1.040 OG beers) then fermentation dies down a bit and then seems to restart a couple days later with more blowoff, which may be the Trois finishing the job as it then gets down to around 1.000-1.002. We then bottle condition with our house mixed culture.

Same as Thorpe. If you keep it in the 70-80s hothead is going to finish pretty high, then the sacc trois will take it the rest of the way. For Kveik I haven't really found a lower limit as far as pitch rates go as long as you have the proper yeast nutrition in additives or a higher starting gravity.

Add zinc (in the right dose amount) to your wort and the yeast will be much happier. I haven't had a single issue since I started doing this.
That's something I'd loved to know about people who experience stalled kveik fermentations; how many of them are using yeast nutrient?

Kveik is norotiously nutrient starved, for how inexpensive it is, you'd be silly not to pitch yeast nutrient with Kveik.

That's something I'd loved to know about people who experience stalled kveik fermentations; how many of them are using yeast nutrient?

Kveik is norotiously nutrient starved, for how inexpensive it is, you'd be silly not to pitch yeast nutrient with Kveik.

Unfortunately I don't remember all the details but we had a club group buy of zinc that was diluted down to dosing levels of something like 0.1 mg/L per gallon. I know too much zinc can be toxic. Since malted barley has most of the nutrients yeast need, it sort of eliminates the use of other yeast nutrients.

My only experience with kveik so far is a pitch of Hornindal from Omega. I didn't make a starter but I added Wyeast nutrient and zinc. Got down to 1.011/1.012 which is fine with me.

My pils is pretty simple/straightforward

10lbs Weyermann Barke Pils
mash at 150

1oz of a blend of Tettnang and Hallertau in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil
1oz Tettnang/Hallertau in the whirlpool
Magnum at 90 minutes to give ~40ibu

Ferment w/ 34/70, pitch at 48 with the temp control set to 50. Five days each at 50 and 55 followed by two days each at 60 and 65, then lager for at least two weeks.
I've got a few that I enjoy. Pretty different styles.

Augschburger (more classic, slightly complicated recipe, very long mash schedule although that's easily tweaked):

90% Pilsner malt
10% Munich malt

Mash (13 Plato):

35°C - 15 min
45°C - 30 min
63°C - 40 min
70°C - 15 min
75°C - 15 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 45 IBU, charge is split 1:1:2 between 70 min, 20 min, and whirlpool.
Recipe calls for Opal (very clean bitterness) but last time I subbed a mix of Tettnang and Hersbrucker and it was great.

Fermentation with Saflager W-34/70 or yeast of your choice.

Classic (still very classic style but a simpler single-infusion recipe. Hop character is fruitier than the Opal version above).

94% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Victory malt

Mash (12.5 Plato):

65°C - 60 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 40 IBU. Most of the bitterness comes from German Magnum at 60 min, followed by a bit of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 10 min, and another charge of Hallertau in the whirlpool.

Playita Pils (my house pilsner, not Reinheitsgebot-compliant but delicious. Crisp, smooth, citrus/spicy/grassy character.)

91% Pilsner malt
3% Carapils
3% Munich
3% Wheat

Mash (12 Plato):

62°C - 30 min
71°C - 30 min
78°C - 10 min (mash out)

70 minute boil aiming for 35 IBU. Large charge of German Magnum at 60 min, then Hersbrucker at 5 min, and Saphir in the whirlpool. Dry hop with more Saphir about 5-7 days before packaging.

I brewed axeman9182 's pilsner with Imperial Harvest and its great! I'm already excited to get onto my second pils. I'm glad I went with 100% pils malt on the first one so I can see what that gets me, but I think I will add a little munich or victory on the next batch.

JCastle any thoughts on if the complex mash schedules make a big difference? Also, I could only get tettnang and hallertau at my shop, do you think any of the hops in your recipes are worth going out my way for?

b3awCjU.jpg

I brewed axeman9182 's pilsner with Imperial Harvest and its great! I'm already excited to get onto my second pils. I'm glad I went with 100% pils malt on the first one so I can see what that gets me, but I think I will add a little munich or victory on the next batch.

JCastle any thoughts on if the complex mash schedules make a big difference? Also, I could only get tettnang and hallertau at my shop, do you think any of the hops in your recipes are worth going out my way for?

b3awCjU.jpg
Nah, as I said I think that crazy mash schedule is probably overkill. Anecdotally I can say that the hochkurz mash in my house pilsner gets you results that are just as good (in terms of body, attenuation, and head retention).

As for the hops I think you're fine. I like to juggle around any Noble-style hops, I've even subbed in Sterling a few times. Tettnang and Mittelfruh is a killer combo.

Have anyone tried Omega Yeast Labs Lithuanian strain? Is it similar to kveik in regards to being nutrient hungry and works well underpitched???

Have anyone tried Omega Yeast Labs Lithuanian strain? Is it similar to kveik in regards to being nutrient hungry and works well underpitched???

Gonna take a guess it's Simonitis. I've only ever used the blend from the source that has lacto in it. You can way under pitch it, but I also don't know if Omega is already adjusting cell counts in their Kveik.

Back