Random Brewing Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buddy and I were brewing up a nice pale ale this afternoon and everything was going swimmingly. While chilling I noticed that the water wasn't coming out of the chiller. Turns out the copper split in two places and added a lot of extra water. Day completely ruined.

We split the batch between two carboys (OG 1.040), but I'm not expecting much especially with Omega's DIPA yeast

So it appears we did have some sort of fermentation!

I'm waiting on my friend to get the FG reading because it's at his place in Boston, but I'm excited to see hear what he has to say

My club has an inter-club comp and this year the special ingredient for the month is rice.

I'm thinking of an imperial raspberry Berliner made with a box of Rice Krispie. The special ingredient used to be a grocery store item so this plays into it. I'm not sure what preservatives are in it, but would they denature in the boil?

6%, mash, boil 15mins, no hops, cool and move to FV, pitch lacto (which strain), let it run hot, transfer back to BK, boil, add hops, finish on yeast and puree.

Thoughts?

My club has an inter-club comp and this year the special ingredient for the month is rice.

I'm thinking of an imperial raspberry Berliner made with a box of Rice Krispie. The special ingredient used to be a grocery store item so this plays into it. I'm not sure what preservatives are in it, but would they denature in the boil?

6%, mash, boil 15mins, no hops, cool and move to FV, pitch lacto (which strain), let it run hot, transfer back to BK, boil, add hops, finish on yeast and puree.

Thoughts?
Would you be allowed to use rice syrup? That would dry up the beer nicely. For kettle souring I've had good success with delbrueckii and plantarum.

Would you be allowed to use rice syrup? That would dry up the beer nicely. For kettle souring I've had good success with delbrueckii and plantarum.
We can use any kind of rice product. I'm in the brainstorm mode. Omega was suggested as a better supplier of exactly what you suggested.

Thoughts?

Rice syrup, a single hop of your choice and this yeast:

https://www.mainiacalyeast.com/online-shop/sake-it-to-me

I would do red wine or gin soaked oak cubes on that mofo.

Rice syrup, a single hop of your choice and this yeast:

https://www.mainiacalyeast.com/online-shop/sake-it-to-me

I would do red wine or gin soaked oak cubes on that mofo.

giphy.gif

All these posts on Omega lacto. My shipment arrived Thursday! I'm going to use it along with C2C for my tart saison I've been trying to dial in. I ordered them along with two packets of wyeast through RiteBrew pre-order page. All four packets were packaged on the 18/19 of this month! Definitely the freshest yeast order I've gotten from an online vendor. I had been relying on MoreBeer for all my ingredients but I may have a new winner for my yeast orders.

So today I made a starter from wyeast 1217. Using 1L for a cream ale later this week and going to bank the other .5L following a process I read about over at HBT. I started as a white labs loyalist since they are local and the guy I took my Homebrew course from was a big proponent of them. After a couple of years I hadn't been thrilled with my results and on a whim tried wyeast. From that one batch forward I am constantly amazed at the quality of my beer and wyeast in general. My stir plate starter is already foaming from active yeast growth. And now that I discovered the pre-order page on rite Brew I really don't see a need for me to switch. I ordered the Omega packets but those are for my funky beers maybe I need a little more experimentation with wyeast funky packets.

So today I made a starter from wyeast 1217. Using 1L for a cream ale later this week and going to bank the other .5L following a process I read about over at HBT. I started as a white labs loyalist since they are local and the guy I took my Homebrew course from was a big proponent of them. After a couple of years I hadn't been thrilled with my results and on a whim tried wyeast. From that one batch forward I am constantly amazed at the quality of my beer and wyeast in general. My stir plate starter is already foaming from active yeast growth. And now that I discovered the pre-order page on rite Brew I really don't see a need for me to switch. I ordered the Omega packets but those are for my funky beers maybe I need a little more experimentation with wyeast funky packets.

Big fan of WY3278 for sour beers.

I split one gallon of my most recent lambic Brew with a packet of that. But that's a part of my extended aging project. Need to try it in a quicker turnaround project.

I don't know what your timeline is for extended aging version a quicker project but I wouldn't pick that blend for anything quicker than six to nine months. I think it needs even more time than that to hit its stride but it doesn't produce a sour beer as quickly as some of the newer lacto only strains.

I've been using Imperial Yeast lately and been happy with things. I'm trying to remember if I used White Labs for my ESB or not but that beer didn't turn out that great.

So what is this beer/wine hybrid I'm seeing tired hands and funk factory drop? Are they just splitting wort 50% with grape must/fruit or co-pitching wine yeast or something?

51/49 to be legal. Not sure about yeast/bacteria.

Ahhh...51/49 makes sense. Wine yeast can't ferment maltose (unless there's a crazy strain I don't know about)....so I'm wondering if it's done with wine yeast the first few days then adding beer yeast to finish off.

I feel like a lot of overlooked "unsexy" hops could have a new life by using new(er) hopping techniques. Used Saaz in a SMaSH blonde ale a while back and got the most pineapple forward beer that I can remember drinking. Using Cluster in a DIPA that I have in the fermenter right now and I'm getting pretty significant tropical fruit. It wasn't the only hop that I used, but I wouldn't have expected this much tropical character from the combination.

I feel like a lot of overlooked "unsexy" hops could have a new life by using new(er) hopping techniques. Used Saaz in a SMaSH blonde ale a while back and got the most pineapple forward beer that I can remember drinking. Using Cluster in a DIPA that I have in the fermenter right now and I'm getting pretty significant tropical fruit. It wasn't the only hop that I used, but I wouldn't have expected this much tropical character from the combination.

Agreed. Saaz has a good amount of Humulene and Myrcene. It can benefit from a 190 degree whirlpool/steep for humulene activation and 145 degree whirlpool/steep for myrcene activation .

Quick question, we're brewing a blood orange IPA right now (20 minutes into the mash) and we're debating how to add the zest to the boil

Would there be a difference between grating it on a microplane or using a peeler and throwing in bigger peels for ease of filtering?

Peels have pith and will be more bitter than zest. I’d add either at flameout.
We went for a blend of both trying to minimize the amount of pith

50 grams of blood orange zest/peel on 20 liters of 1,049 IPA wort. Citra, Motueka and Centennial. Fermenting with Voss kveik. First time using kveik so curious how this will turn out

This kveik **** is nerve racking
I underpitched, because apparently that's what you're supposed to do, but I also heard it's supposed to start fermenting super quickly
So it's been 5,5 hours and it's not going yet. Which wouldn't be weird with normal yeast but I was expecting activity at this point

This kveik **** is nerve racking
I underpitched, because apparently that's what you're supposed to do, but I also heard it's supposed to start fermenting super quickly
So it's been 5,5 hours and it's not going yet. Which wouldn't be weird with normal yeast but I was expecting activity at this point

How's your fermentation temp? I know those strains tend to work better at temps around 80+

Back