Random Brewing Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Brett blend is sitting @ 1.013. Im glad .998 wasn't the case. That would have been nuts. I was legit scared for a second.

The Brett blend is sitting @ 1.013. Im glad .998 wasn't the case. That would have been nuts. I was legit scared for a second.

In my experience, I've never seen pure kveik take a beer much under 80% even with a low mash and heavy yeast nutrients. Low alcohol worts, cool temps, and no nutrients usually land me around 65%. Hot with nutrients usually 75-82%, that almost across the board for all species.

In my experience, I've never seen pure kveik take a beer much under 80% even with a low mash and heavy yeast nutrients. Low alcohol worts, cool temps, and no nutrients usually land me around 65%. Hot with nutrients usually 75-82%, that almost across the board for all species.

I just did Omega Hothead plus Voss paired with their Tropical IPA (Sacch Trois) and got from 1.038 to 1.005 in about two days and down to 1.001 in under a week. It was second generation for the blend, fermented at ~68-70*F, and mashed at 154*F (90/10 mix of pils and oats).

Also have a few yeast strains coming from these guys:

https://www.texascultures.community/native-yeast-cultures/

They wrangle cultures from Texas wildflowers. Excited to try them out.

Some of those cultures sound really interesting though it looks like they only provide 1BBL + pitching volumes unless I'm missing something. Any idea if they happen to offer smaller pitching rates (i.e. 200B cell counts) for us volumetrically challenged individuals?

I just did Omega Hothead plus Voss paired with their Tropical IPA (Sacch Trois) and got from 1.038 to 1.005 in about two days and down to 1.001 in under a week. It was second generation for the blend, fermented at ~68-70*F, and mashed at 154*F (90/10 mix of pils and oats).

Dang. I got a fresh pitch of hothead and tropical IPA coming tomorrow.

Brew partner forgot to purge headspace on a keg and add a bit of positive pressure when he put it into the ferm chamber to lager. I now have 5 gallons of saphir dry hopped lager that has gained 5ish SRM from what I can assume is oxidation. Taste is still relatively bright and hoppiness is still present so I’ll be drinking it, but damn is it ugly!

Anyone got any suggestions for something quick and crowd-pleasing to brew? Got a festival in a few weeks and wanted to pour something fun. I'm leaning towards a light kettle-sour mixed with pineapple juice but open to suggestions. Festival is outdoors in high 80's weather and (probably) lots of sunshine.

Some of those cultures sound really interesting though it looks like they only provide 1BBL + pitching volumes unless I'm missing something. Any idea if they happen to offer smaller pitching rates (i.e. 200B cell counts) for us volumetrically challenged individuals?

Yeah. They sent us small vials for 5 gallon batches via shipping invoice. The first set leaked tho...so they're sending us another set. Hit them up thru their instagram and tell them you're interested in trying some. We're sending them cans when the beer is finished.

Anyone got any suggestions for something quick and crowd-pleasing to brew? Got a festival in a few weeks and wanted to pour something fun. I'm leaning towards a light kettle-sour mixed with pineapple juice but open to suggestions. Festival is outdoors in high 80's weather and (probably) lots of sunshine.

Something like that would be great. You can also use the pineapple juice to prime the keg to save some time. Just add your brew and the pineapple juice a week before. You can look at the total grams of sugar on the nutrition info and subtract it from your priming sugar amount. Or just use the juice and add more CO2 as you see fit.

A plain base with a little oats or wheat would do well.

90% base malt (pils or pale)
10% oats
no hops

You can kettle sour with goodbelly or add it to the fermentor
Ferment out with 3711/Belle Saison

I would let that ferment out and package in the keg with your pineapple juice, priming sugar, and a bag of new world hops. Should be a crowd pleaser.

edit: I'll just add the local nano uses Dole Pineapple Juice and it comes out tasting like a cafeteria fruit cup. So I would use high quality juice.

Something like that would be great. You can also use the pineapple juice to prime the keg to save some time. Just add your brew and the pineapple juice a week before. You can look at the total grams of sugar on the nutrition info and subtract it from your priming sugar amount. Or just use the juice and add more CO2 as you see fit.

A plain base with a little oats or wheat would do well.

90% base malt (pils or pale)
10% oats
no hops

You can kettle sour with goodbelly or add it to the fermentor
Ferment out with 3711/Belle Saison

I would let that ferment out and package in the keg with your pineapple juice, priming sugar, and a bag of new world hops. Should be a crowd pleaser.

edit: I'll just add the local nano uses Dole Pineapple Juice and it comes out tasting like a cafeteria fruit cup. So I would use high quality juice.
Probably not enough time to prime with the juice but otherwise sounds pretty much like what I had in mind.

Thinking of trying a grapefruit IPA this weekend. Here is my basic plan, which is basically my normal west coast IPA recipe with more focus on Citra/Centennial for grapefruit flavor. Not sure how much zest I will add yet. Anyone have success with this tyle?

7.5 lb 2 row
7.5 lb Golden Promise
0.5 lb Wheat
0.25 lb Carafoam
0.5 lb Sugar

2 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Centennial 10 min
Zest (amount?) 5 min
1 oz Columbus Whirlpool
1 oz Centennial Whirlpool
1 oz Citra Whirlpool
3 oz Centennial Dry Hop
4.5 oz Citra Dry Hop
Zest (amount?) dry hop

Thinking of trying a grapefruit IPA this weekend. Here is my basic plan, which is basically my normal west coast IPA recipe with more focus on Citra/Centennial for grapefruit flavor. Not sure how much zest I will add yet. Anyone have success with this style?

I've not done a grapefruit IPA personally, but I've done several styles where I've used orange zest. For a five gallon batch size, I typically zest two medium sized oranges adding the zest and juice at flameout. I would imagine that the same addition rate would work for grapefruit as well.

Any particular reason why you're thinking about adding the zest post-fermentation?

I've not done a grapefruit IPA personally, but I've done several styles where I've used orange zest. For a five gallon batch size, I typically zest two medium sized oranges adding the zest and juice at flameout. I would imagine that the same addition rate would work for grapefruit as well.

Any particular reason why you're thinking about adding the zest post-fermentation?

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I've added citrus zest like a dry hop twice before. Once in a hefeweizen and once in a wild ale and they both turned out pretty well.

I just did Omega Hothead plus Voss paired with their Tropical IPA (Sacch Trois) and got from 1.038 to 1.005 in about two days and down to 1.001 in under a week.

Hothead and Tropical IPA are banging away. Fermentation is going crazy. I have 7.5 gallons fermenting so aggressively it's overflowing my grower the blow off is in.

Hothead and Tropical IPA are banging away. Fermentation is going crazy. I have 7.5 gallons fermenting so aggressively it's overflowing my grower the blow off is in.
Crazy amounts of blow-off on our end as well. The first time we used that blend at the brewery we had two ~25g batches blowing off into a single growler which made a huge mess overnight. We've been using a 3 gallon carboy as a blowoff for subsequent batches which has been working well so far.

If you end up harvesting any yeast, be sure to leave the lid of your mason jar or growler a little loose. Even at super low FGs this blend will still put out a lot of CO2 to the point where it could easily cause a jar to explode with enough time.

Crazy amounts of blow-off on our end as well. The first time we used that blend at the brewery we had two ~25g batches blowing off into a single growler which made a huge mess overnight. We've been using a 3 gallon carboy as a blowoff for subsequent batches which has been working well so far.

If you end up harvesting any yeast, be sure to leave the lid of your mason jar or growler a little loose. Even at super low FGs this blend will still put out a lot of CO2 to the point where it could easily cause a jar to explode with enough time.

And just to echo Chuck’s point, those were mason jars at terminal FG and in the fridge!

This came out really good! Chamomile flowers and oranges came thru nice!

FuiMDDm.jpg

Buddy and I were brewing up a nice pale ale this afternoon and everything was going swimmingly. While chilling I noticed that the water wasn't coming out of the chiller. Turns out the copper split in two places and added a lot of extra water. Day completely ruined.

We split the batch between two carboys (OG 1.040), but I'm not expecting much especially with Omega's DIPA yeast

Buddy and I were brewing up a nice pale ale this afternoon and everything was going swimmingly. While chilling I noticed that the water wasn't coming out of the chiller. Turns out the copper split in two places and added a lot of extra water. Day completely ruined.

We split the batch between two carboys (OG 1.040), but I'm not expecting much especially with Omega's DIPA yeast
Wow! That has got to sting. And I thought I had some doozies.

My notes are awful but here is the gist of it. Loosely based it off a Fullers ESB clone I found online. I played around with the recipe 4 times and here's where I ended up apparently (this was a few years ago):

14 Plato (1.056 OG)

90% Crisp Maris Otter
6% CaraMunich III
4% CaraMunich I

I use Weyermann cause I love it and it's easier to find here but you could sub with English Crystal 60 and 20 for a more authentic English beer.

Hops (~32-35 IBU):

1 oz EKG (60 min)
0.5 oz EKG (30 min)
0.5 oz EKG (10 min)
0.5 oz EKG (0 min)
0.5 oz EKG (dry hop)

I use S-04 cause it's the easiest option for me but I find it pretty clean fermenting, no diacetyl. If you want a mild diacetyl character and more fruity esters then Wyeast London ESB would also work.

My notes are awful but here is the gist of it. Loosely based it off a Fullers ESB clone I found online. I played around with the recipe 4 times and here's where I ended up apparently (this was a few years ago):

14 Plato (1.056 OG)

90% Crisp Maris Otter
6% CaraMunich III
4% CaraMunich I

I use Weyermann cause I love it and it's easier to find here but you could sub with English Crystal 60 and 20 for a more authentic English beer.

Hops (~32-35 IBU):

1 oz EKG (60 min)
0.5 oz EKG (30 min)
0.5 oz EKG (10 min)
0.5 oz EKG (0 min)
0.5 oz EKG (dry hop)

I use S-04 cause it's the easiest option for me but I find it pretty clean fermenting, no diacetyl. If you want a mild diacetyl character and more fruity esters then Wyeast London ESB would also work.

Thanks. I also started with a Fuller's ESB clone and slightly tweaked it. Wasn't happen with the malt and yeast character. Can't remember which yeast I used but it didn't come close to what I can from Fuller's house strain.

Thanks. I also started with a Fuller's ESB clone and slightly tweaked it. Wasn't happen with the malt and yeast character. Can't remember which yeast I used but it didn't come close to what I can from Fuller's house strain.
I've only tried using Briess Crystal before and wasn't happy. The version with Weyermann was way better but it certainly didn't have the traditional yeast character that Fullers has (easily changed with a different yeast though, I've never used London ESB but I've seen it as one of the top suggestions). As for hops I just really enjoy EKG, has a spice/honey quality that I liked a lot in the beer. I'm thinking of dry-hopping the next one with Cascade, see how it goes.

I've only tried using Briess Crystal before and wasn't happy. The version with Weyermann was way better but it certainly didn't have the traditional yeast character that Fullers has (easily changed with a different yeast though, I've never used London ESB but I've seen it as one of the top suggestions). As for hops I just really enjoy EKG, has a spice/honey quality that I liked a lot in the beer. I'm thinking of dry-hopping the next one with Cascade, see how it goes.

I used UK crystal malt for the darker one and American crystal for the lighter one. I'm trying to remember what I used for the base malt. I might of tried something other than Crisp Maris Otter, which I currently have an unopened sack of.

Our ESB, Winchester, is:

87% Crisp Maris Otter
7% Crisp C60
6% flaked barley

mash in the mid-150s
EKG at 15 and FO at 1/2lb bbl total
backfill bittering charge of 18% aa apollo for ~30ibu
13.5p
DH EKG at 1lb/bbl

ferment with english strain of your choosing, I like s-04 if dry or our house strain BSI-7 (equivalent to WLP007)

Thanks for the recipe! Interested in the mild recipes as well if you’re willing to share!
This is the one I'm rebrewing next week. Came out by accident (and it's not truly authentic because of it) but I love it. Was supposed to have black patent but I ran out so I replaced it with midnight wheat.

8.5 Plato (1.034)

82% Maris Otter
4.7% CaraMunich III
4.7% Briess Crystal 120
3.8% Briess Chocolate
3.8% Midnight wheat

Bittering is a single charge of EKG at 60 minutes ~15-18 IBU.

Back