Ranco vs love longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt415

Reaction score
My ranco just bit the dust after about 4 years of service. I got the dreaded e2 error. I am now looking into new love controller and was wondering if they last longer than the ranco. They are both about the same price so I am more interested in which will last longer.

Wow, good to know that my paranoia with surge supressors on the lagering fridge is well founded! Didn't know Ranco's had issues like that.

Are the Johnson's more stable and reliable?

Wow, good to know that my paranoia with surge supressors on the lagering fridge is well founded! Didn't know Ranco's had issues like that.

Are the Johnson's more stable and reliable?

I've been running a Johnson A419 digital for several years with no problems at all. None. I don't use a surge suppressor with it, although I probably should as my power is rather sketchy at times. Never gave it much thought before this. Next question is: Are the cheaper surge protectors worth a damn?

for the record, my Ranco died just from being unplugged. Hadn't brewed for a while and the kegerator was empty. didnt see the point of having it running with nothing in it so I unplugged it. Went to plug it in about a year later and E2 popped up.

well 4 years seems to be a popular number for the ranco. anyone have a say on love controllers?

Ive had my love for 2 years, no problem. Also have a johnson controls, no problem with that after 2 years either. Best I got for now.

I am on my second ranco. The first lasted almost 6 years although I did get intermittent error messages. I have a Johnson (controller) that has lasted 4 years without a hitch. I just bought a back up and I bought another Johnson A419.

My first Ranco lasted for about seven years before being replaced, although the probe is still in use. I'm also using one for my keezer which I purchased a few months ago. IMO, they are nice plug and play controllers for a good price. If it lasts four or more years in a marine or brewery environment, I'm happy with that life expectancy for dollar spent.

I do like the Love controllers too though...just no experience with them first hand. Perhaps few Love users have responded because there are no bad points and they last a very long time! :)

Back