Ranco or Johnson Controlls and wich one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hi All,

I picked up a freezer, super cheap. Couldn't resist. I will be using the freezer for fermentation at this time (no collar planned). Reading the forums, trying to determine if I should use Ranco or Johnson Controls. I haven't seen a thread that mentions the product numbers (sorry if my search skills are lacking). Doesn't seem to be much difference but personal preference (?).

I found these, along with many others, on amazon:

RANCO ETC-111000

Johnson Controls A419ABG-3C

Are either of these good or are there other product numbers that are better?

Cheers,
Scot

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had it all to do over again, I'd buy a couple of the STC-1000s and start with them. They worked as good as the Johnson I bought, and have dual stage output, for heating AND cooling.

In fact, I really need to find a new home for my old Johnson. (pun intended)

I like the fact that I can mount the STC-1000 right into the fridge and it looks pretty nice. Haven't got around to it yet, but it's on the to-do list.

If you can handle basic household wiring, this dual controller for under $20 - http://www.amazon.com/All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Stc-1000/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377096778&sr=8-1&keywords=stc-1000

I have three. They work very well.

There are some great threads here that go through the step-by-step process of wiring one into an outlet box.

Thanks for the input. I like this idea. The wife would like the price. Is there anything else I need in order to make this work? Searching for wiring hasn't led me to much so far but it seems like you wire this inline?

If you have a link you have used, would appreciate.

I went with the Johnson. it seemed like the gold standard. It works perfectly.

Thanks for the input. I like this idea. The wife would like the price. Is there anything else I need in order to make this work? Searching for wiring hasn't led me to much so far but it seems like you wire this inline?

If you have a link you have used, would appreciate.

You would need some wire and an outlet box of your choice and an outlet (or 2 or 3...)

The wiring would depend on what you wanted it to do. Mine is basically a single outlet with one side powering the fridge, and the other side powering a small heater. You break the bridge between the two sides to be able to wire it that way.

Or you could get a double gang box and put 2 outlets in there, each one wired to a different output on the STC.

Or, you could do like what some have done and put THREE outlets in a triple gang box and wire same as the two outlet option, but also have one outlet not wired to the STC at all, so it's always on.

Or you could mount the thing in the door or side of fridge and run wires directly to it through the inside of the fridge.

There should be a few wiring diagrams in the electric or DIY areas.

You wire the STC-1000 into a standard 2-plug outlet that you mount in some kind of project box (either homemade or bought at Radio Shack). One (cool) outlet is for the freezer/fridge. Into the other (warm) outlet, you plug some kind of small heater and then put that heater inside the freezer.

Set the target temp (in Celsius) on the STC-1000. Set the tolerance (default is +/-0.5*C). When the temp (as read by the sensor) climbs 0.5*C above the target, it powers up the cool outlet and keeps it energized until the temp drops to the target and then turns it off. Likewise with the warm outlet if it gets 0.5*C too cool. You tape the sensor on the side of the fermenter and place some kind of insulation like bubble wrap over top of it so that it reads the bucket temp and not the air.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Back