Ranco 2 stage for lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
This is my first brew and I am ready to go to 2nd stage for lagering.

I am brewing Brewers Best Continental Pilsner:
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1008_Continental_Pilsner.pdf

This is from the instructions:
"SECONDARY/LAGERING
Transfer the beer to a clean, sanitized 5-gallon carboy. Lower the temperature 1º to 3º per day until it reaches 35º - 42ºF. Lager within this temperature range 3 - 4 weeks."

I have a 7cu chest freezer for cooling and a 100w light bulb wrapped in foil to cut the light for heating. I have this all hooked up to a Ranco 2 stage controller.

My question is what should my set point and differentials be for both heating and cooling. Obviously I will have to lower daily by 1º to 3º to reach 35º - 42ºF. I am starting from 59-60º

Any help from the old dogs that use this controller will be much appreciated.

Many (including me) don't bother with the incremental chilling to lager temperatures. When I've completed my D-rest and am sure the beer is ready to lager I simply bring the fridge/fermentation temperature down to 35 degrees or so. If you want to chill slowly I wouldn't even worry about the heating side. Your aiming for close to freezing. Unless you chamber is in a garage, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks Hammy. Can you explain the D-rest. I Googled it and it looks like a temp increase at the end of the primary. The instructions did not mention anything like this.

I tasted the sample from taking a hydrometer reading (1.012) and it was not bad at all. I could not really taste alcohol as expected. The color was straw and cloudy. All sound normal?

A d-rest basically makes sure the yeast cleans up after fermentation. Usually if you pitched enough healthy yeast it isn't necessary. I do it for insurance basically and helps to avoid the butter taste many get with their lagers. You are probably OK. If the sample tasted good, with no butter taste, you are probably fine. This thread really helped me with my first lager.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/please-check-my-lager-procedure-142578/

Latest posts

Back