Ranch with Wings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy-Klubb said:
chili can have beans. ranch can be served with wings. BMC companies can produce great brews. the "should" involved with many of these topics is all personal preference. will everyone like my Horehound Belgian Strong? nope. but it's my preference. many will say that horehound does not belong in beer. neither do raspberries nor saffron. they like their beer to taste like beer. changing something to personal taste is no crime, nor should it really be ridiculed by purists. you don't want ranch? tell them no ranch. you don't want a lime in your gin & tonic, tell them so. servers are not mind readers.

Yes, chili can and should contain beans in my opinion.

WesleyS said:

Especially when smothering wings. The bumpiness of the beans adds to the texture if the wings.

allenH said:
Especially when smothering wings. The bumpiness of the beans adds to the texture if the wings.

How about wings topped with chili, topped with tortilla chips, topped with ranch, then topped with cheese sauce!! Oh, and throw a few hot dogs in there too.
I think I just discovered what I'm making for Super Bowl this year. ;)

How about wings topped with chili, topped with tortilla chips, topped with ranch, then topped with cheese sauce!! Oh, and throw a few hot dogs in there too.

What is the proper beer for pairing with this? I was thinking a Belgium style might work. But am not sure.

Ranch rocks. If I wanted nasty ass bleu cheese funk I would eat my wings out of a twinky Notre Dame jock strap.

I used to would argue with you on that one but I'm going to let it go, because after staying a year in Cincinatti I learned there are worse ways to mess up a good bowl of chili. There, they put noodles and crap with the chili, and the chili is seasoned with cocoa powder and cinnamon, and yes it tastes as bad as it sounds. If you pass by a Gold Star, do just that, pass by.

I really get what the OP meant, I mean wings SHOULD come with blue cheese autmoatically, not ranch. If your that werid picky eater that tried blue cheese once when you were 6 and have your mind made up against it, by all means ask for the ranch, but let the rest of us be able to assume our wings are going to come with it.

I used to would argue with you on that one but I'm going to let it go, because after staying a year in Cincinatti I learned there are worse ways to mess up a good bowl of chili. There, they put noodles and crap with the chili, and the chili is seasoned with cocoa powder and cinnamon, and yes it tastes as bad as it sounds. If you pass by a Gold Star, do just that, pass by.

It's weird, Cincinnati is supposes to be some chili capital, yet everyone I hear whose ate chili there thinks it's some of the nastiest chili in the world. Never been myself, so I will refrain from judgement.

landshark said:
What is the proper beer for pairing with this? I was thinking a Belgium style might work. But am not sure.

A Saison maybe?

estricklin said:

I really get what the OP meant, I mean wings SHOULD come with blue cheese autmoatically, not ranch. If your that werid picky eater that tried blue cheese once when you were 6 and have your mind made up against it, by all means ask for the ranch, but let the rest of us be able to assume our wings are going to come with it.

I've heard that before about Cincinnati chili. Sounds pretty terrible. I've never been to Ohio and it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. Noodles? In chili? I don think I want to even be in the vicinity of where that was thought up.

Since when did it become acceptable to serve wings with ranch? The expectation is that wings come with blue cheese and celery, nothing else. Don't offer me ranch and certainly don't bring my wings with ranch.

because a lot of people do not like stinky cheese. I never liked it,,,,but found some that I enjoy that is made from scratch at the restaraunt we patronize....I'll have it on my hot wings,,but never in a salad

Them's fighting words around here....;)
I simply don't care. It's my food, and I'll eat it the way I please. And if you want to dip your fries in mayo, go nuts. I'll have ketchup. But you won't offend me with your choice. Want a slice of lime in your beer? Go for it. Put a slice of lime in the beer I brew? I'll politely suggest you try it sans fruit beforehand. Still want the lime? Ok, have at it.

Here in CA it seems to be standard practice to supply ranch with wings, rather than blue cheese. I have to specifically ask for blue cheese, and even then lots of places DON'T HAVE IT. I have basically given up on eating good bar/restaurant Buffalo wings in this state. Even when they have blue cheese, the wings usually aren't very good anyway. It's like nobody has ever heard of Frank's Red Hot at these places. So, if I'm doing Buffalo style wings I will just make my own at home and do them the right way.

On the other hand, we have the Korean spicy garlicy wings, and Japanese tebasaki, both of which are fantastic in their own right.

This.

The rest of America can f*ck off when it comes to wings because this is the only way they can truly be called "buffalo wings". Accept no substitutes. I mean seriously, anyone with half a brain knows that Pizza Hut isn't real pizza, Subway isn't a real sub sandwich, and for f*cks sake, Olive Garden isn't even CLOSE to real Italian food.

Holy crap, now I'm ranting. Time for my medicine. A pint and a shot of Beam!

And every one know beam isn't real whiskey.

Ranch on Wings is sacrelige! or however you spell it. I love both ranch and bleu cheese, but not on my wings. Its like putting steak sauce on a properly cooked steak. I don't like my wings too hot, when they get way up there they lose their flavor. I tend to top out at about 2/3 up whatever the heat scale that particular wing place has. That is where the heat and the flavor tend to mix the best. I am still looking for that super burn your esophogus hot wing that has a good flavor to it!

I simply don't care. It's my food, and I'll eat it the way I please. And if you want to dip your fries in mayo, go nuts. I'll have ketchup. But you won't offend me with your choice. Want a slice of lime in your beer? Go for it. Put a slice of lime in the beer I brew? I'll politely suggest you try it sans fruit beforehand. Still want the lime? Ok, have at it.

In general, this ^^

Now. "buffalo wings".
If I walk into an eatery & that's the way they describe/advertise them on the menu, I know they'll be ersatz wannabe wings at best & overcooked flavourless pieces of reddish chicken-like crap at worst. 7-2 in favor of the latter.

They are wings. Not "buffalo wings", WINGS. Dammit.

And they are served with bleu cheese & celery. And your forehead breaks out in a sweat somewhere between the 3rd to the 6th one.

All else is folly & failure.

Now get off my lawn.

Ranch on Wings is sacrelige! or however you spell it. I love both ranch and bleu cheese, but not on my wings. Its like putting steak sauce on a properly cooked steak. I don't like my wings too hot, when they get way up there they lose their flavor. I tend to top out at about 2/3 up whatever the heat scale that particular wing place has. That is where the heat and the flavor tend to mix the best. I am still looking for that super burn your esophogus hot wing that has a good flavor to it!

"that has good flavor". Yes! That is the key to heat. Flavor. Any fool can soak something in bear mace.

You guys can keep your nasty Bleu Cheese. FWIW I rarely eat wings. I don't recall ever eating them with ranch or bleu Cheese, but I've had bleu cheese several times and I don't care for the flavor. The flavor that seems to keep coming up for hours and hours after.

I don't mind celery though. I often eat it for a snack at work. It's better with ranch though.

While I respect the rights of others to use ranch or some other condiment or dressing on their chicken wings, bringing me a plate of wings with no bleu cheese dressing offered is akin to telling me to die in a fire.

I wanna feel the burn, I ALWAYS get the hottest sauce they have, for me that is the reason for eating wings. I swear I almost get a buzz from super hot food.

I wanna feel the burn, I ALWAYS get the hottest sauce they have, for me that is the reason for eating wings. I swear I almost get a buzz from super hot food.

*I cannot confirm what I am about to say as I am not a doctor or a scientist*

I have heard that that is almost exactly what is happening. The body is fooled into believing it is literally on fire, or has come into contact with fire, and does the only things it can do to combat this. It initiates perspiration and releases the body's natural painkillers. The hotter the peppers used, the more painkillers the body releases.

You guys can keep your nasty Bleu Cheese. FWIW I rarely eat wings. I don't recall ever eating them with ranch or bleu Cheese, but I've had bleu cheese several times and I don't care for the flavor. The flavor that seems to keep coming up for hours and hours after.

I don't mind celery though. I often eat it for a snack at work. It's better with ranch though.

Sorry to do this to you (I know I argue against personal taste in food a lot, but seeing as my wife teaches cheese classes as part of her job I am morally obligated in this case). If what you are referring to is a dislike of bleu cheese DRESSING, this can be combatted by using a good quality bleu cheese cut into a bit of mayo and sour cream in order to make your own. Most often bleu cheese dressing is made with a very strong cowsmilk bleu, which (though I personally like it) might be a bit much for some.

Bleu cheese is such an umbrella term for a wide range of cheeses that have been exposed to either/or of 2 distinct secondary bacteria that saying you dont care for bleu cheese is like saying "I dont care for dark beer."

Should you ever find yourself in New York, the wife and I will see to it you have the good stuff.

If you decide to do some fiddling on your own, I would personally suggest Rogue River Bleu out of Oregon.

/rant

Around here they are generally called Hot Wings and not Buffalo Wings. Regardless of what you call them salad dressing, Bleu or Ranch, simply has no place on wings. Just eat the damn wings ya big sissy.

I do have to agree with ol' Creamy above though. If you think you do not like Bleu Cheese dressing you really owe it to yourself to try some that is made from some quality cheese. I used to think all Bleu Cheese was nasty until I had some really good stuff that was so rediculously creamy and flavorful. Counterpoint however, if the cheese is really good stuff it is a shame to mix it up with a bunch of other pedestrian crap to make a sauce or dressing. Just enjoy the cheese, maybe with a light drizzle of local honey and a light cracker if you must.

Oh and chili... beans aside stop making crap with ground beef and calling it chili. You are not making chili you are making hamburger helper. Chili should have real chunks of honest to goodness meat in it not the frozen brick of 80/20 from the grocery store.

Don't forget the big handful of horehound candies for dessert. :mug:

As for the debate. Bleu Cheese, if it is good quality. Not something poured out of a bottle or scooped out of a gallon bucket by the dish washer/cook.

If the bleu cheese sucks, the wing sauce probably does as well and I won't be back a second time - at least not to eat the wings.

I skip eating super hot hings & just rub them on my crack. that way I can feel the burn right away. (and if y'all didn't catch that, I don't like wings of any kind. or chicken for that matter.)

Sorry to do this to you (I know I argue against personal taste in food a lot, but seeing as my wife teaches cheese classes as part of her job I am morally obligated in this case). If what you are referring to is a dislike of bleu cheese DRESSING, this can be combatted by using a good quality bleu cheese cut into a bit of mayo and sour cream in order to make your own. Most often bleu cheese dressing is made with a very strong cowsmilk bleu, which (though I personally like it) might be a bit much for some.

Bleu cheese is such an umbrella term for a wide range of cheeses that have been exposed to either/or of 2 distinct secondary bacteria that saying you dont care for bleu cheese is like saying "I dont care for dark beer."

Should you ever find yourself in New York, the wife and I will see to it you have the good stuff.

If you decide to do some fiddling on your own, I would personally suggest Rogue River Bleu out of Oregon.

/rant

I just started reading "Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques and recipes for Mastering World Class Cheese" by Mary Karlin and Ed Anderson and I am mezmorized by this cheese thing. I've never met a cheese I didn't like after giving it a chance, even limburger. Since brewing beer spills over somewhat into other types of fermentation I figured I'd give this cheese thing a go. What book does your wife suggest to newcomers?

Mastering Cheese by Max McCullum and The Cheese Chronicles by Liz Thorpe are important tombs on the subject :). Please dont forget that SWMBO is a cheese educator and monger, NOT a cheesemaker. We have not made much cheese (as yet!)

Leading question, is Kroger big in Arkansas?

Oh I assume too much.

Well not as big as they are in Ohio probably, but there are Krogers here, most are small though with the exception of a few.

Aha, in that case I will merely suggest you swing by a Murray's counter at Krogers if you find yourself in Ohio. If they dont send you home with the best cheese you have ever tasted, my wife will want to know! ;)

CreamyGoodness said:
Mastering Cheese by Max McCullum and The Cheese Chronicles by Liz Thorpe are important tombs on the subject :). Please dont forget that SWMBO is a cheese educator and monger, NOT a cheesemaker. We have not made much cheese (as yet!)

Leading question, is Kroger big in Arkansas?

If you love cheese, I suggest you get into cheese making. I haven't made any in a while, but my wife keeps bugging me to again. She says my pepper jack is the best cheese she's ever eaten.
Creamy, I bet you could make a great okra cheese. :p

Bleu cheese is my preferred wing dressing, but if I get ranch I don't really care. It's dressing on a flavored bit of meat. The dressing doesn't make one wing better than another- to me, the difference is the style. Are they served in a bowl of sauce or dry rubbed or charred? I like dry wings because they're easier to eat. And yes, I enjoy flavored wings and do not like anything more than your average Buffalo medium. Flavor-egotists may say I'm a wimp but I like to taste all my food and not have hotsauce flavor burned into my tongue and lips for an hour. Kyle

/rant

I can't remember ever having it as dressing. I've had a few things with bleu cheese in it or on it and I've never liked it.

It's not that I dislike it so much that I CAN'T eat it, I just prefer not to.

And I have close to ZERO interest in trying to make myself like it. There are many other flavors out there to enjoy. I'll go see if I can find one more of those.

I can't remember ever having it as dressing. I've had a few things with bleu cheese in it or on it and I've never liked it.

It's not that I dislike it so much that I CAN'T eat it, I just prefer not to.

And I have close to ZERO interest in trying to make myself like it. There are many other flavors out there to enjoy. I'll go see if I can find one more of those.

Ok ok, just promise me that if we get you a free seat at a cheese class SWMBO is teaching you'll taste all seven cheeses.

Wow, I knew people here got pissy when they see someone order a BMC. Never knew they got pissy seeing what type of sauce I dipped hot wings in. Next they'll be telling me I can't have BBQ sauce on my pulled pork and can only put mustard and relish on a hot dog.

The problem is that most people who prefer ranch either have never tried the bleu cheese or don't remember it.

It is akin to my 5 year old that thinks ranch goes on everything.

Grow up.

Blue cheese you might aswarm have a sweaty sock with them

you can say that again!! But it will still make no sense.....

Stupid auto correct as well not aswarm

Ranch rocks. If I wanted nasty ass bleu cheese funk I would eat my wings out of a twinky Notre Dame jock strap.

Poor, poor lost soul. Ranch is for girls and little kids.

Here in CA it seems to be standard practice to supply ranch with wings, rather than blue cheese. I have to specifically ask for blue cheese, and even then lots of places DON'T HAVE IT. I have basically given up on eating good bar/restaurant Buffalo wings in this state. Even when they have blue cheese, the wings usually aren't very good anyway. It's like nobody has ever heard of Frank's Red Hot at these places. So, if I'm doing Buffalo style wings I will just make my own at home and do them the right way.

On the other hand, we have the Korean spicy garlicy wings, and Japanese tebasaki, both of which are fantastic in their own right.

You poor fellow!

While I respect the rights of others to use ranch or some other condiment or dressing on their chicken wings, bringing me a plate of wings with no bleu cheese dressing offered is akin to telling me to die in a fire.

:mug:

I don't know about the "you would like blue cheese" quote. I had it the other day ordered wings, came with blue cheese in one and ranch in another. Tried the blue cheese, just wasn't good. At all. Ranch was excellent with the wings. I've just never liked blue cheese, even on the accidental where I just had something to dip in I'm always "WTF is this nasty $#!+?" There is no "Hey this is good, but not the ranch I wanted, what is it?"

The problem is that most people who prefer bleu cheese either have never tried ranch or don't remember it. And in addition to having poor short term memory, their taste buds have also been permanently damaged by eating fictional meat products marinated in icy hot.

And then there's the whole bleu spelling thing. That just the pretentious nose uppery one would expect from those who think themselves too good for ranch.

there IS a distinction between "wings" and "buffalo wings"

I like both

I MIGHT have wings with BBQ sauce, but my buffalo wings don't get bleu cheese or ranch.

bleu cheese (or ranch, but I prefer BC) is for the celery that comes as a side with my buffalo wings

but that is ONLY MY preference and I won't be forcing that on others nor have others force their preference on me.

Back