Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found your thread. I have 3 guys wanting to buy. We just found out that North Country will not honor your account if you haven't ordered in the past year.
You can count on us for at least 10 bags, probably more. What's the status of your order right now?

It looks like we are at 33 bags, which leaves 9 to fill the pallet. PM Walker what you'd like and he can get it added to the spreadsheet. All the info is in the first post of this thread, including the catalog.

I just found your thread. I have 3 guys wanting to buy. We just found out that North Country will not honor your account if you haven't ordered in the past year.
You can count on us for at least 10 bags, probably more. What's the status of your order right now?

It looks like we are at 33 bags, which leaves 9 to fill the pallet. PM Walker what you'd like and he can get it added to the spreadsheet. All the info is in the first post of this thread, including the catalog.

Correct... the bag of rye that skee, barc, and hoppygus are splitting puts us at 33 bags.

10 more from BrewBear00 will push us to 43 bags, which means we have to go to a second pallet.

Reelale: if we go to a second pallet, does that tack on another $65 pallet fee, or does the per-pallet rate get smaller? Their catalog says:

Our pallet rates are the MAXIMUM you will pay per pallet.
We will often be able to better your rate for multiple pallet orders.
Please call for more information.

Damn, you guys beat me to it.

Anyway, think they would put 1 extra sack on for 43? Or maybe a couple? Seems like a waste to have only 2 or so bags on a pallet (but I'm sure they'd even it out) or even charging for an extra pallet for only a couple of sacks.

Damn, you guys beat me to it.

Anyway, think they would put 1 extra sack on for 43? Or maybe a couple? Seems like a waste to have only 2 or so bags on a pallet (but I'm sure they'd even it out) or even charging for an extra pallet for only a couple of sacks.

They would even it out I'm sure. I'm also sure we would have to pay for a second pallet. It's like real estate. Just because the pallet isn't full, they still have to charge for the space it takes up on the floor of the truck, even if it did only have 1 bag on it.

let's wait to see what Reel says about the $65 pallet rate.It might drop below $65/pallet. Either way, going 43 bags means that the shipping per bag will go back up, but it isn't going to really skyrocket.

@ 42 bags, shipping is $1.86 per bag because we fit on one $65 pallet.
@ 43 bags, shipping is $3.33 per bag because we need a 2nd $65 pallet.

If we're over on bags, I can cut back. The 10 bags was an estimate. Let me know what's needed to finish off a pallet and I should be good for that quantity.

They would even it out I'm sure. I'm also sure we would have to pay for a second pallet. It's like real estate. Just because the pallet isn't full, they still have to charge for the space it takes up on the floor of the truck, even if it did only have 1 bag on it.

No doubt but they can stack an extra bag on the top of the 42, most likely. If they will. I've worked quite a bit with shipping but not shipping grain. :)

Spreadsheet updated to account for the sack of rye. Nothing listed for BrewBear00 since I don't yet have specifics on what they want.

the spreadsheet also now has more involved math on the "constants" page to account for figuring out how many pallets we need and all that business.

BrewBear00: the difference in shipping is pretty minor if we spill onto a second pallet. Plus, this thing has only been piling up for a few days. We might very well get near two pallets before it's said and done.

If you want to put in 9 bags for now, I can do that. If we get more interested parties and start to climb back into a second pallet, I can add the 10th bag for you.

Or, I can just throw in 10 bags now, bump to two pallets, and then we wait and see how many more people we get.

I don't think it's fair to force you into only 9 bags. We're all in this together. If we need 1 bag on a second pallet, so be it.

If we go to a second pallet, I will probably add another sack to my order. Waiting to see where we are once the new buyers are in and reelale's response.

I think we'll get a good bit more. This thing has only been running for 4 days so far and we are at a pallet+.

IIRC, it's $65.00 per pallet, with a maxium of 42 bags/pallet. I'm pretty sure the better rate refers to more pallets with maximum weight, i.e. a truckload. Last shipment was $130.00 for 2 pallets. It makes sense to fill a pallet. Additional bags would probably be fedexed at the going rate, but cheaper than a pallet rate.

I've got the 4-way split in my local copy of the spreadsheet. I'm not going to upload the thing until I get some more action, though.

If Mrs. Walker won't help me out, I've got a girlfriend in Sanford named Crystal that is always willing to jump on.

If Mrs. Walker won't help me out, I've got a girlfriend in Sanford named Crystal that is always willing to jump on.

Funny. I've got one in Cary named Julie who says her husband is a layabout and a drunk. And a sorry excuse for an engineer. :ban:

Stimulus decided that 7.5 sacks of grain was just crazy, so he upped it to 8.5 sacks.

We are now at 34 sacks. Spreadsheet updated.

Only 135 lbs. from 2000 lbs. price break? Do you think that everyone could pay for their orders with a credit card? I've worked out a killer discount with a homebrew supply store in Texas.
Too soon?

A joke, yes. A good joke.....not so much. I'll be waiting outside.

Seems to be a touchy subject as of late.

Everyone with any sort of ladder-logic ability / flowchart ability can pretty much see what has happened within a few possibilities. Touchy or not, it is out there.

Now, order some grain folks! :rockin:

When are we gonna cut this off? I'm in no real hurry but others might be. Do you want to cut it off at 42 sacks or 2 pallets? Or by a date?

When are we gonna cut this off? I'm in no real hurry but others might be. Do you want to cut it off at 42 sacks or 2 pallets? Or by a date?

I don't particularly care when we close the window. I would at least like to hear from BrewBear00 since he had expressed interest in about 10 sacks.

Plus, joeybeer (the newest addition) said that a friend of his might want a sack, too.

Hell, I'm even considering a sack of CM-2ROW, even though I haven't touched the 55# sack of maris otter or 27.5# of munich I bought last time.

Sounds fine by me. Like I said, no hurry here. If we can get 2 pallets in another week or so, say by next Friday, that might be the best bet for all those involved.

If anyone else has an opinion or whatever, speak up.

Is anyone involved in or near the Piedmont Triad area (WS, Greensboro, High Point)? I might be interested in participating but I may have to have someone hold my share until I can get to the Raleigh area or meet someone in the PT area. I generally visit Raleigh every couple of months as I have friends in that area.

Is anyone involved in or near the Piedmont Triad area (WS, Greensboro, High Point)? I might be interested in participating but I may have to have someone hold my share until I can get to the Raleigh area or meet someone in the PT area. I generally visit Raleigh every couple of months as I have friends in that area.

I don't think we have anyone involved at this point from that area. But if your concern is with the pick-up, I'm sure one of us can hold the grain until you make your next visit to the Raleigh area.

I would have no problem holding it for you. I'll just stack it with the other sacks I already have. :D

Hrm, 55# of maris otter would make for a lot of batches od deadeye clone: I could perfect it for a lot cheaper than payin the lhbs for the stuff. Hmm....

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Hrm, 55# of maris otter would make for a lot of batches od deadeye clone: I could perfect it for a lot cheaper than payin the lhbs for the stuff. Hmm....

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk
If you are on the fence about cost, I'll split a sack of MO with you. That's been my house malt for the last 4 years and I feel kinda naked without it.

Edited to add: I'm currently sampling the first barleywine I brewed -- Sept. '07. It has finally mellowed from something you'd pour into a ditch and set on fire to slow the invading zombie horde into a pretty darn smooth sipper. Made with 20 pounds of Marris Otter, of course.

Back