Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barc said:
Eating alone?

The wife and I spent about $35. That's including two pints at $3 each and a $5 tip. So, drink water and don't tip and $22 is plenty :p

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Why would someone go to a brewpub for dinner and drink water? That's like going to a stripclub and sitting in the bathroom all night.

I was hesitant to add any tip amount to my
Paypal amount just to keep it simpler. I do intend to tip you guys for doing this. Much cheaper than the LHBS.

I think you should keep it. Thanks again.

Also, I'm not going to make the pickup after all. Can I maybe pick up mine from someone Sunday on my way back into town?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I vote you keep it - less some cash for new make-up for Walker. Looking kinda rough in the avatar, maybe need to switch to Mary Kay or something.....

I propose we split it between myself, Walker, and Skee. I would feel better about the whole thing. It was a team effort this time.

I propose we split it between myself, Walker, and Skee. I would feel better about the whole thing. It was a team effort this time.

Either way. I know you've all had a major pain in the ass. I tip skee and walker enough already, though. But that's on their other job. :drunk:

Ok. I want to be completely up-front on these orders. I went back through the invoice last night. I did not see a line item for tax. NCM invoices by unit (bag) price and extends it by quantity. Going through the invoice, item by item, I did notice some discrepancies. For instance:

NCM invoiced BD-MOPA @ $35.83/bag. The spreadsheet had it at $35.20/bag.

NCM invoiced GW-2ROW @ $25.00/bag. The spreadsheet had it at $27.00/bag.

As you can see, there is no pattern to account for the differences. The bottom line is the invoice came in at $159.43 less than what people paid me.

I don't relish the thought of calling NCM and going through prices, item by item. I didn't check the last order as closely, and it would have been even more convoluted with the refund of the shipping charge. I do not have that invoice as I destroy them once the sale is complete. I simply take the paypal balance, transfer to my bank account and pay with a credit card.

It appears to me that everyone is satisfied with the price they are paying for their malt. I'm not doing this to make money, I'm doing it to help people out. I have ordered, for myself, about 50 lbs. total on the last two orders.

So, if anyone has any problems with me retaining this overage as a "service fee", please PM me and I'll refund your pro-rated amount, if we can figure it out. Thanks.

WTF?

Did I screw up on the spreadsheet, or were their prices just not exactly the same as printed in the catalog or something?

If everything was consistent, I would say we hit a price break in one of those mystery zones, but if I had some things higher and some lower, that's f*cked up.

If possible, can you send me a copy of the invoice or something? This bothers me and I'd like to get to the bottom of it (without you having to call them).

WTF?

Did I screw up on the spreadsheet, or were their prices just not exactly the same as printed in the catalog or something?

If everything was consistent, I would say we hit a price break in one of those mystery zones, but if I had some things higher and some lower, that's f*cked up.

If possible, can you send me a copy of the invoice or something? This bothers me and I'd like to get to the bottom of it (without you having to call them).

I didn't see any cells that were in error on the spreadsheet. I think it might be tax is charged on a per bag basis, I'm not sure. After further review, we underestimated the unit price on everything, by a few pennies, except for the GW-2ROW, which we overestimated by $2.00/bag. I'll send you the invoice later today. I'm thinking it's the tax.

Split it btn the three of you....works for me.

$22? Really?

Moby

Done. It was actually $25.05, I did my maths wrong.

I am wondering if we did indeed hit a pricebreak in the mystery zone between 4000 and 8000 lbs.

I will reverse engineer the invoice and try to figure it out.

I am wondering if we did indeed hit a pricebreak in the mystery zone between 4000 and 8000 lbs.

I will reverse engineer the invoice and try to figure it out.

That would make sense, but only if it applied to every bag over the limit, like you said. I'm not going to worry about it anymore unless someone has major issues.
I think it was equitable for all parties involved.

I'm not going to be able to make the pickup, but will send my mother in law instead.. (she's a good sport :)

It would be awesome if one of you burly fellows (or a few of you skinny ones) could throw the 3 bags in her car for her ~ I'll buy you a beer next time I'm up there !!

****. I haven't checked this thread in a couple days. Next weekend I'm going to visit my dad (very sick with a terminal cancer) so bailing is not an option.

Is there any way somebody could grab these for me and let me get them Sunday evening or Monday morning or whenever works for them that next week?

I'd be super appreciative. And I know it's pain in the ass because its a lot (8 bags)

Skip and I ordered most of the 2-row in question and nearly half of the order. I'll speak for him and say that the excess funds be split between Reelale, Walker and Skee however they see fit. I no longer feel obligated to buy you guys a beer. Looking forward to meeting y'all Saturday, I'll probably wish later that I hadn't.

Skip and I ordered most of the 2-row in question and nearly half of the order. I'll speak for him and say that the excess funds be split between Reelale, Walker and Skee however they see fit. I no longer feel obligated to buy you guys a beer. Looking forward to meeting y'all Saturday, I'll probably wish later that I hadn't.

We'll get it right. We're really not out to hose anyone. It's just that I no longer care. I've been drinking. I just went through this less than a month ago. Not the drinking, the ordering.

****. I haven't checked this thread in a couple days. Next weekend I'm going to visit my dad (very sick with a terminal cancer) so bailing is not an option.

Is there any way somebody could grab these for me and let me get them Sunday evening or Monday morning or whenever works for them that next week?

I'd be super appreciative. And I know it's pain in the ass because its a lot (8 bags)

I can probably get yours. I'll have to bring the wife's minivan instead of my own car, but that ain't no big deal.

My, you're up late Walker. Did you get a chance to deconstruct the order?

My, you're up late Walker. Did you get a chance to deconstruct the order?

Late? Hell, I'm just getting started. I usually don't go to bed until about 2am or so. I been in the garage adding some more plumbing to my new mash tun.

I am going to sit down now, drink a couple of pints, and see if I can make sense of the invoice vs catalog vs spreadsheet.

Late? Hell, I'm just getting started. I usually don't go to bed until about 2am or so. I been in the garage adding some more plumbing to my new mash tun.

I am going to sit down now, drink a couple of pints, and see if I can make sense of the invoice vs catalog vs spreadsheet.

Good luck. And if it comes up that I was in error, please pm me. No need for EVERYONE to know about it.

Walker, could you possibly pick mine up for me and I'll get it from you Sunday afternoon?

I may be able to get my buddy come with his truck and I can grab yours. I live near Brier Creek so I shouldn't be too far away from you. That goes for anyone else that can't make it as well, assuming I do in fact get the truck.

EDIT: I do have access to the truck for Saturday so anyone in Raleigh that needs me to pickup your stuff just let me know. I'm probably closer to Raleigh than Walker is in Cary, and it will save him from having to drive the soccer mom mobile!

I'm just gonna post again, cuz I don't feel like editing my last post again. It looks like there are a few people that can't make it Saturday. Sorry the pickup doesn't work for everyone, I'm just trying to keep the brewery happy. I don't mind holding for people in Raleigh, or anywhere else for that matter, the problem arises for those that are splitting. Reel just wants the bags so you guys that aren't showing up, we need something to put your share in. I started looking through to see who all couldn't make it, but my head started to hurt. Please post here if you can't make it and are getting part of a split so we can work that out. folts, I know you are one that can't come and fat-guy said he could get yours, can you work that out with him? Otherwise I can take your share and we can work it out later.

Walker, how much can you weigh on your scale? I know yours at least looks beefier than mine. If it could do 10-15#, that would be great for these 1/4 bag splits. I don;t think the brewery's scale is quite that acurate.

I think that's all for now, but I'll post back if I think of anything else.

Oh, I'll have 2 people helping me Saturday morning (both named Ryan actually), so no one needs to come by early to help but thanks for the offers. See you between 9-10.

Walker, how much can you weigh on your scale? I know yours at least looks beefier than mine. If it could do 10-15#, that would be great for these 1/4 bag splits. I don;t think the brewery's scale is quite that acurate.

My scale goes to 11.
spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

I have some large tupperware containers that I use when weighing out my grain at home. Those hold a lot of grain (enough for a 5 gallon batch of something non-imperial), but they weigh about 13oz, so with that on the scale, I can weigh out 10# at a time.

I will bring it with me Saturday.

Re-iterating what skee said earlier... SPLITTERS. PLEASE SORT OUT DETAILS WITH YOUR PARTNERS.

For the bags I am splitting with folks, I am bringing those large tupperware containers mentioned above, so I will definitely have something to cart my loot home in.

I was hesitant to add any tip amount to my
Paypal amount just to keep it simpler. I do intend to tip you guys for doing this. Much cheaper than the LHBS.

I think you should keep it. Thanks again.

My analysis of all of this will be posted later today, but for you specifically... it appears that you were UNDERCHARGED by $0.33. :D

I'll be out of town next weekend and much of next week. Kirbster (Mike L.) said he'd be able to hold onto my grain until I get back, but he's working until 5pm Saturday. Could someone in Raleigh grab my bag for me (just 1 bag) and have Kirbster pick it up that evening?

My analysis of all of this will be posted later today, but for you specifically... it appears that you were UNDERCHARGED by $0.33. :D
Were you able to nail down where the discrepancies were? I'm intrigued. My money is on minor pricing changes since the catalog was published.

Were you able to nail down where the discrepancies were? I'm intrigued. My money is on minor pricing changes since the catalog was published.

Walker said you owed an additional $100 payable to me. You should get a PM, but if not, just send me the money anyway. :mug:

I believe I figured it out, and pricing differences are one component.

As far as I can tell, and this is just with a lot of excel math comparing the price I had from the catalog vs the price that was listed in the spreadsheet, I found several issues with how everything was tallied-up.

(1) The fuel surcharge. We thought it applied to only one pallet's rate (20% of $65), but it actually applies to all pallets (20% of $130 in our case). BUT... this is an error in the other direction. If I correct this issue, then the spreadsheet comes up with an additional $13 added to the total.

(2) Sales Tax. This really where the error comes from. There was NO tax. No 7.75% added on to the price of the bags. No 7.75% added onto the shipping. We were not charged any tax at all by NCM, but tax was added in the spreadsheet.

(3) And finally, pricing differences. The price per pound is off by a few pennies on nearly everything. It could be differences since the catalog was printed, or it could be related to which facility we used. The catalog we used is from their NY warehouse, because that was the facility we used on the first bulk buy. But, there is a link on their website for catalog for each different facility. Reelale's "greatmalt" password does not work for the NC catalog, so I've never actually seen the NC catalog, and we just used the NY catalog.

If I correct the fuel surcharge on the spreadsheet and zero out the sales tax, then I see that:

- All Great Western malts are $0.04/lb less expensive than what was in the catalog.
- Canadian Malting 2-row was $0.04/lb more expensive than the catalog shows (all other Canadian malts are accurately priced).
- Best , Baird's, and Fawcett malts are $0.01/lb more expensive than the catalog.
- Franco Belgian stuff wasn't consistent. The aromatic was cheaper, but the other stuff was more expensive.
- all other malts not specified above were accurately priced.

In general, most of the grains appear to me more expensive than the catalog showed.

So... at the end of the day, we UNDERCHARGED for grain and fuel by about $50, but we OVERCHARGED via the tax by about $200, which gives us the $150 error.

For most folks, the over-charge was only a couple of bucks, and we even did had a few people that were undercharged by a few cents.

Since it was the tax that was the main source of error, the more grain you bought, the more your overpayment was. So, folks like BrewBear00 and Skip got hit with large over-charges.

I PMed those that got hit with the larger over charges today to let them know the amounts, but here's a full list of over payments for full disclosure:

Code:
foltster              $7.86     
HoppyGus              $0.18     
Barc                  $5.21     
Stimulus             $17.00     
fatguy-littlecoat     $5.20     
mtbrider             ($0.33)  underpay
skeeordye11           $3.04     
Reelale               $0.61     
Walker                $1.77     
Chad                  $2.90     
Moterbiker            $1.74     
fbgillam              $3.57     
NCBeernut             $4.23     
Hannable1975          $3.25     
longdvsn             ($0.33)  underpay
joeybeer              $3.49     
TheSeether            $2.08     
BrewBear00           $51.53     
marc06                $5.37     
ezzieyguywuf         ($0.17)  underpay
Moby                  $0.38     
Skip                 $40.87

You GRABASSholes are way to smart for me, LOL.

For my ( small ) overpayment, like I said - let it ride - you guys split that $3.25 and go get a McChicken sammich for your troubles....

We can make it right if needed. I don't think anyone here should have to support my habit. No sure if I can send .33 cents via paypal, so I'll go ahead and include the tip and cause more confusion. :)

We can make it right if needed. I don't think anyone here should have to support my habit. No sure if I can send .33 cents via paypal, so I'll go ahead and include the tip and cause more confusion. :)

I don't think anyone is concerned about the $0.33.

I'm mostly interested in what BrewBear00 and Skip want us to do here.

Just received this from NCM:

Hi!

Hate to bug you again but aside from confirming the credit card information I just found out the Hickory location does not have any GW 2 Row available at this time. Would you care to substitute the CM 2 Row at the lower price? The grains are almost identical. The only difference is one is grown in the US and the other in Canada. Please advise.

Thank you,

A.M.
Inside Sales Associate

I told her to sustitute CM for GW. So all 2-row will be CM. Please consider the price difference in this last iteration as a "Frustration Tax".

Latest posts

Back