Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently stim and dal decided to get started early last night around 11 and brewed all night. Dal thought he might have used round up instead of starsan so it sounds like they had a good time!

Hahaha. Wonder if it works...?

4500 pounds and $3000 worth of grain signed up and paid for in 10 days. Not bad folks, especially less than a month since the last one.

May not be a bad idea Walker. Today may be another brew day for me since I didn't realize I was off work until yesterday. That 1 sack may not last long once it gets here. I guess I need a recipe for a president's ale.

damnit!

I've been working for the same company since 2001. Never had Pres Day off. Got up, got showered, got dressed, drove 35 minutes to Durham.

The place is empty.

Calender of events on the wall by the coffee machine says;

President's Day - New Company Holiday for 2011.

damnit!

I've been working for the same company since 2001. Never had Pres Day off. Got up, got showered, got dressed, drove 35 minutes to Durham.

The place is empty.

Calender of events on the wall by the coffee machine says;

President's Day - New Company Holiday for 2011.

Might as well try ou tthe new mashtun early then. Make sure you brewcast though. I need something to do today.

Just remembered the LHBS is closed on Monday's and I got the 3 yr old for the day. Guess we will work on his bike skills instead.

I'm still working on the list of mistakes I made Saturday for my first AG, 1 of which is drinking too much before I got to sparging.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Just remembered the LHBS is closed on Monday's and I got the 3 yr old for the day. Guess we will work on his bike skills instead.

I'm still working on the list of mistakes I made Saturday for my first AG, 1 of which is drinking too much before I got to sparging.

Is fifth season open? Might be another option if you're dead set on brewing and need something.

skee, I screwed up that recipe you gave me. Started drinking during my buddies extract batch, then went to pull up the recipe you sent me and opened the wrong email once I started the boil, so I ended up winging the hop additions a bit. I may send you guys the brewpal sheet to get you opinion on what I might end up with.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it was one of skee's recipes, it was messed up before he even emailed it to you.

Just cause you can't figure out how to brew my recipes to perfection does not mean that they are flawed.

And it was a BM recipe anyway.

Definitely wasn't his fault. He sent me 2 links, I used the second(intended) recipe up until I got to the boil, then in my buzzed mind, somehow opened the first link and thought I got the wrong amount of hops.

Keep in mind that the LHBS lost my order when I went to pick it up, and in their hurry to crush all my grains, put all the grain in 1 big bag. so the grain bill was already different when I started.

Definitely wasn't his fault. He sent me 2 links, I used the second(intended) recipe up until I got to the boil, then in my buzzed mind, somehow opened the first link and thought I got the wrong amount of hops.

Keep in mind that the LHBS lost my order when I went to pick it up, and in their hurry to crush all my grains, put all the grain in 1 big bag. so the grain bill was already different when I started.

Was this on Friday? I remember a dude (possibly you) talking with one of the guys about an order and it was only partially there or something. ?? I don't know I'm there waaaayyyyy too much as it is. Wait I think I tried your beer....

Yep, it was Friday, and That was one of their extract kits I made in January. It was the irish red ale.

What did you think? I didn't see anyone getting sick, so at least I didn't kill anyone.

They didn't have the order in the computer. I ordered online and had paid for it already.

Dang I knew I should have said something. I would have invited you over for a brew. I am fortunate to live less than a mile down the road. I was the long haired hippie lookin guy.
Your beer was good. It could have used a little more hops but then again I say that about a lot of beers including my own. Keep at it. they tend to get better and better.

Thanks for the feedback. That kit is really good. I would like to convert it to AG to see if I can make it that way also.

Dang I knew I should have said something. I would have invited you over for a brew. I am fortunate to live less than a mile down the road. I was the long haired hippie lookin guy.
Your beer was good. It could have used a little more hops but then again I say that about a lot of beers including my own. Keep at it. they tend to get better and better.

You live down the road from American Brew Master, or 5th season? I live uncomfortably close to ABM. :)

Thanks for the incredible chance to get grain for my new brewing habit.
I just ran across this Raleigh grain buy To day, It may have been to late.
do not know if it is a done deal.
But put me in for the next one.
I PMed about getting a GW2row.

It all started when My son had to go and give me a Mr Beer for my last Birthday. Now I am all Keg, all grain and all clone. Of course after I am done tinkering It is not to much clone, but very good.
On tap, I have the biggest beer i have very brewed a Denny's rye IPA. It is carbonating in a Keg as we speak 63 IBU's and 9.2 ABV. spicy Dry hopped in the keg with colombus and cascade. I have been BIAB and made a whole 2nd running that is a great session beer.
The nice thing is when I get to much I can always ship beer over to my son at Chapel hill !

You just missed the boat on this one. We closed the window on orders last wednesday or thursday when we hit 2 full pallets of grain.

But, this will probably happen again in a few months, so keep your eyes peeled.

I live uncomfortably far from most things in Raleigh with ABM being one of them. I'm hoping they start a drop off point in the Clayton/Garner/Fuquay area soon.

You live down the road from American Brew Master, or 5th season? I live uncomfortably close to ABM. :)

My wife used to work across the street from the Rainbow mart.

Mtbrider, I smell business opportunity!

I live uncomfortably far from most things in Raleigh with ABM being one of them. I'm hoping they start a drop off point in the Clayton/Garner/Fuquay area soon.

You have it made - you're the halfway point for me when I go to Raleigh - I need a drop off point in Lillington , or Spring Lake!

Thanks for the incredible chance to get grain for my new brewing habit.
I just ran across this Raleigh grain buy To day, It may have been to late.
do not know if it is a done deal.
But put me in for the next one.
I PMed about getting a GW2row.

It all started when My son had to go and give me a Mr Beer for my last Birthday. Now I am all Keg, all grain and all clone. Of course after I am done tinkering It is not to much clone, but very good.
On tap, I have the biggest beer i have very brewed a Denny's rye IPA. It is carbonating in a Keg as we speak 63 IBU's and 9.2 ABV. spicy Dry hopped in the keg with colombus and cascade. I have been BIAB and made a whole 2nd running that is a great session beer.
The nice thing is when I get to much I can always ship beer over to my son at Chapel hill !

I ordered 2 bags of CM 2ROW.

In the spirit of happy brewing, if you want one of them, and can come to the pick up date, you can just pay me for it there and take it with you.

I ordered 2 bags of CM 2ROW.

In the spirit of happy brewing, if you want one of them, and can come to the pick up date, you can just pay me for it there and take it with you.

Very cool of you, Hannable. I will say that there was more than one person that PM'ed me a little too late. I think one of those guys would take your other sack of 2-row if you want to unload it. :)

Very cool of you, Hannable. I will say that there was more than one person that PM'ed me a little too late. I think one of those guys would take your other sack of 2-row if you want to unload it. :)

My chaitable nature can only go so far - I do gots to brew a little, too :cross:

So, Walker... Any idea when you'll get back from Bermuda / receive the grain ?? :)

I don't know if it's possible, but if it is on the next buy we might also consider including cleaning supplies. I just checked the back of the North Country catalog and a 50lb pail of PBW is $125. Split five ways that is less than 1/2 of retail.

StarSan comes in a 5gal pail or a 4 x 1gal case for $118. That would be $29.50 for a gallon with no messy splitting up to do. Retail on 1gal (4x32oz bottles) is $66.

I don't know if stuff like this messes up the pallet load and thus becomes impractical, but if we can add them I think it's worth a look.

sounds like round 5 won't necessarily be a few 'months' off. Probably a few days...

I don't think it'll happen that fast. It was only like 3 guys, and a total of 5 bags requested that came to me in PMs after the woindow was closed.

This whole round 4 was primarily people that missed round 3, and that's why they happened with such a short period of time in between.

I would think that most people are sitting on top of months worth of grain now.

Also, while this whole system works out really well for the end user, keep in mind that it's a bit of work for the organizing crew. I managed to make the order collecting less painful with the new spreadsheet, but it still takes time. Reelale's still got to collect money and place the order and work out the details with Country Malt.

And then there's skee. That guy has the ****-end of the stick. He has to break down MORE THAN TWO METRIC TONS of grain, ensure that everything is there that's supposed to be, sort it into individual piles for each person, and track the pick-up to make sure everybody get's their stuff. Last time he had to take time off work to get that part done.

So... it takes effort, and the last thing any of us needs is another job.

We might have to sit down and actually work out a schedule... plan these things in advance and declare when they will happen or something. You get in then, or you wait until the next one.

So, Walker... Any idea when you'll get back from Bermuda / receive the grain ?? :)

Well... you see... I don't have any of the money. I just collect orders. They gave their money to Reelale, and he's the one that is in the bahamas now, sipping frozen fruity beverages on a topless beach.

I don't know if it's possible, but if it is on the next buy we might also consider including cleaning supplies. I just checked the back of the North Country catalog and a 50lb pail of PBW is $125. Split five ways that is less than 1/2 of retail.

StarSan comes in a 5gal pail or a 4 x 1gal case for $118. That would be $29.50 for a gallon with no messy splitting up to do. Retail on 1gal (4x32oz bottles) is $66.

I don't know if stuff like this messes up the pallet load and thus becomes impractical, but if we can add them I think it's worth a look.

We had request for some non-grain items in round 3. They can sometimes put it on a pallet with the grain, but Reelale has to call them and inquire every time an oddball item is requested.

I wanted an 8# tub of PBW, and they said that they could put it on a pallet for us, but at that time the Hickory, NC facility was just opened and they didn't have any PBW in stock, so it never happened.

This time, to avoid Reelale making all of those calls, I just stated that we would not be doing anything other that sacks of grain.

Back