Raised the mash temp to 160

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing right now and everything was going good. Started mashing at about a hundred fifty two degrees for about half an hour then the temperature started to drop so I turn my burner on a little bit and of course then my kids had needed the referee. When I came back about 10 minutes later the temperature had crawled its way up to about 160. I stirred it and got it back down 155 or so but I am just wondering what the impact of that little spike in temperature could possibly be? Its a iipa so I assume it will be fine. Any thoughts?

The worst that could happen is that the attenuation might be slightly lower........but very slightly. I keep a pound of amylase around for "emergencies" such as this, and to manipulate things....... for example if I mash at 160, the conversion is completed in just a couple of minutes..........I can then drop down below 150 and add amylase, and get rapid Beta conversion. There are no "sacred cows" in my home brewery. I'll try anything once, twice if I like it.... sacred cows end up being boiled in the wort... warts and all ;-)

H.W.

I had a mash temp overshoot very much like yours a couple of batches ago. Beer came out great, even though it might have been a point or two high on FG (not sure as it was my first time with the recipe.) RDWHAHB!

Brew on :mug:

Similar thing happened to me except I had the worst of it and did not get full conversion and my beer finished High... Still drinkable but definitely not near where I needed it...

I think the take a way here is that as long as you do your iodine test and it shows that its converted, the worst that is going to happen is a little bit higher finishing gravity is a little bit higher by a few points. If you don't let it convert and you mash high, you will finish out of style and out of FG range, and even then if brewed correctly, it will still be mostly drinkable.

cheers!

Similar thing happened to me except I had the worst of it and did not get full conversion and my beer finished High... Still drinkable but definitely not near where I needed it...

I think the take a way here is that as long as you do your iodine test and it shows that its converted, the worst that is going to happen is a little bit higher finishing gravity is a little bit higher by a few points. If you don't let it convert and you mash high, you will finish out of style and out of FG range, and even then if brewed correctly, it will still be mostly drinkable.

cheers!

I've spent my entire life "out of style"............. It really isn't the end of the world ;-)

H.W.

I compete with myself... Often to my detriment. I have dumped beers that many others have liked because I felt they were not up to my standard.

I used to compete, but honestly, I just don't have the time or energy to do it anymore. Many more priorities on my list, but who knows maybe one day. I'll brew something at the right time and if its mind blowing, I'll enter it again.

I don't think they use hydrometers at most competitions. Higher FG probably means better head retention & mouthfeel, so you might even end up better than you intended. I think Lagunitas mashes high.

Back