Radical Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45thparallelhopper

Reaction score
Just started reading Radical Brewing today. As I always read my books multiple times, I was just curious what some other people thought were the best or worst parts of this book.

I am a huge fan of this book. One of my favorite parts is the twelve beers of Christmas on page 166. Another is page 228 which talks about ancient beers. I also like the charts that describe the characteristics of various hops, grains, and brewing herbs and spices (page 158). Probably the thing I like the most is that the book works very well for the visual learner, with lots of pictures and a good layout.

I like the book from a history perspective and it's humorous but educational qualities.
The fact that it includes historical data of various beers and styles makes it that much more interesting to me.

I was just looking at it this morning before I left for work and thinking I wanted to read it again.

The writing style is exactly what I want out of a brewing guide. It's fun, entertaining, and not too technical, while still including some pretty important and good pointers.

The section on wit in the Mysteries of Belgium chapter is pretty interesting, and the basic recipe (I did the cheater's version) resulted in one of my best batches to date. That section is best read with the section on non-barley grains. A lot of fun ideas in there, some of which I might actually get around to trying one of these times.

So far I really like this book a lot. It is not because there are life changing ideas, but rather great little ideas to make artisan ales of your own. And I totally agree that this style of writing is incredibly enjoyable and informative, which is not easy to accomplish

Back