Quick Pressure gauge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeunc

Reaction score
So I received my new 2 keg setup a few days back with a dual gauge regulator. I hooked up the gas to just the regulator and the high pressure crept up to just over 600 like normal. I heard no audible hissing sounds or anything. So i turned my two pressure control knobs and got psi up to 12, let it sit a few, listen and hear no leaks. Then I pulled both pressure release valves and the low pressure gauges dropped to 0 as expected. So I brought them back up to 12 again and then killed the gas at the tank. A few hours later they were still as 12psi, but this am they were down 9. Is this common? With the gas off can the low pressure gauges over 12 to 24hours lose a little? I just want to make sure I am not being paranoid and go chasing all over the place thinking there is a leak in the regulator somewhere. The gas has not even been hooked up to a keg yet.
It may be a simple answer but I appreciate all the help.

thanks

could be a temperature change issue. you said it happened overnight, well it usually cools overnight. this would cause a drop in static pressure. if the gas is turned off, then the regulator is reading the pressure in the lines. this could be your culprit.

right, basically got the tank filled,,ice cold as you know. Come home place it in 68degree house. 1 hour later hook it all up, test, high pressure goes to 600, 2 low pressure gauges set to 12psi, leave it a few mins, no sounds of anything escaping, turn off gas completely. Overnight temp in house 65 degrees, awake this morning and the 2 gauges are at 8. So I just want to make sure that is not out of the norm before I go spraying everything down with starsan and looking for bubbles. Remember it's not even hooked up to kegs yet,
thanks

well i dont think you have anything to worry about, but just for the s=its and giggles, take some mildly soapy water and spray your fittings and connection. no bubbles, youre good. cheers!

FYI,,I called Midwest, where the kit came from, spoke to Patrick ( their keg guy and video guy)
He said that if it was at a certain temp, then overnight that temp fell then yes the low pressure gauges would drop some. He said if the temp was constant and the gauge read the same for an hour or two you are good. He said that if there was a regulator leak it would fall about a pound an hour or more in a constant temp and you would know it.

Back