Quick Lager starter timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipole

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first lager, and I made a starter on Friday with the intention of brewing on Sunday and pitching on Monday

My plan
Friday 5pm - pitched 1 smack pack of yeast to 3L starter, placed on stir plate
Sunday ~6pm finish batch and place in fridge to begin cooling to 47F
Sunday -8 pm - take starter off stir plate (will be around 51hrs of stirring) and place in fridge so I can decant
Monday - 8am - decant yeast and pitch

1) Does this sound feasible or am rushing the yeast here?
2) Will that be enough time for the yeast to settle so I can decant or should I wait until I get home around 4pm from work and pitch then, if so will the wort be ok for ~24 with no yeast.
3) If I have to wait until the yeast settle, rather than leaving the wort unattended for over 24 hrs I was thinking of just buying another smack pack and directly pitching that so I would have some fermentation activity in the wort while the starter yeast settle

Thoughts?

I like 2 days on a stirplate, a full day cold crashed before decanting. I inject O2, especially for lagers, pitch at a temp just below fermentation temp, and have fantastic fermentations.

Latest posts

Back