Quick-disconnects - which end goes where and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I have a three-tier, gravity-feed all-grain stand. I'm looking at incorporating a pump for faster liquid transfer, mash recirculation and whirlpool-cooling in the boil kettle. To that end, I'm considering using the cam-lock quick disconnects. Now when I started thinking this through, my assumption was that I would put the male ends on the hoses that are going to be moving around (since they seem smaller/lighter/have less dangly bits), and leave the larger female ends attached to the fixed pieces, i.e. the vessels and the pump. Looking at pictures, I see most people do the opposite - the female ends are on the hoses and the male ends are stationary. Is there a compelling reason behind this?

mostly preferance.

only reason to put the female part on the hose are those "wings" that you have to fold back to secure the hose in place. If it is on the pot, you need to make sure you have the clearance to fold that back.

Since you have to hold the hose anyway, it only makes sense to have the female fittings (with the wings) on it too.

If you install males on the hoses and drop them, it will dent the mating surface of the camlock or plug connector of the male disconnect.

Ok thank you this makes a lot of sense to me (I drop things a lot....I'm not as careful with my things as I probably should be).

Also, is there a strong preference between the cam-lock style and the push in "sleeve" style (not sure how to describe it, but the same kind of connection for pneumatic stuff).

I.e. this
40856b.jpg

vs. this
cambigcdetail.jpg

Also, is there a strong preference between the cam-lock style and the push in "sleeve" style (not sure how to describe it, but the same kind of connection for pneumatic stuff).

I.e. this
40856b.jpg

vs. this
cambigcdetail.jpg

I switched from the quick disconnects to the camlocks. I was getting grain stuck in my connections during vorlaufing and got sick of cleaning it out. The camlock solution I have now never gets stuck. I believe the inside diameter of the camlocks is greater.

I still miss the ease of the QDs though. You could operate them one-handed. The wings on the camlocks are kid of a drag. I move the tubing around a bunch during a brewday - I could probably reduce some of that with valves.

I have mine set up with the male end on the hose. After reading this I wish I would have done it the other way. Too expensive to fix at this point.

I switched from the quick disconnects to the camlocks. I was getting grain stuck in my connections during vorlaufing and got sick of cleaning it out. The camlock solution I have now never gets stuck. I believe the inside diameter of the camlocks is greater.

I still miss the ease of the QDs though. You could operate them one-handed. The wings on the camlocks are kid of a drag. I move the tubing around a bunch during a brewday - I could probably reduce some of that with valves.

I use the QD's and have no issues. Inside diameter is a full 1/2", so nothing ever gets stuck. If you buy some of the barbed versions, they do have restrictive barbed sections. I prefer to use the MPT threaded disconnect and add a "full flow" oversize barb like those from brewershardware.

I use the QD's and have no issues. Inside diameter is a full 1/2", so nothing ever gets stuck. If you buy some of the barbed versions, they do have restrictive barbed sections. I prefer to use the MPT threaded disconnect and add a "full flow" oversize barb like those from brewershardware.

Hmmm, that's pretty sweet. Maybe I'll go back to the QDs. Thanks.

We have cam locks and like them - female end on hoses. Never used the QD type but read about people having to use an oven mitt or something similar when hot wort has gone through them. With cam locks no heat protection is required.

Back