Quick cold crash- Should I bother?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimAikin1

Reaction score
So, I've been reading a lot of threads about cold crashing and I've decided I want to try it on this Dunkel I have in the conical fermenter. It's just about done with the primary fermentation.

The only place I have to do the crash is to put it outside as I don't have a dedicated fridge or anything. It's 7* in Buffalo right now, -6* with the wind chill. At that temp, I'm not going to be able to leave it outside for long before it completely freezes.

Should I still try to crash it and just bring it inside before it freezes, or will it not be long enough to make a difference?

Thanks!

Chilling the beer may begin the clearing process. Moving the fermentor after it is chilled may negate any gains. You might get better results by leaving the beer in the primary for three weeks. It will clear on its own after most of the CO2 in solution off gasses, allowing the suspended sediment to drop out.

Back