Questions about my new toy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepkes

Reaction score
Long-time watcher of this forum, first time poster.

I'm in the middle of my first brew with my brand-new conical fermenter. I went all out with 1.5" butterfly valves and thermowell and I'm just loving it. Draining the trub was a dream.

I have a couple questions.
1) I'm about to drain a second time to harvest yeast for another batch, is taking soapy water, cleaning the exposed part of the butterfly valve, rinsing, and then spraying with iodophor the right way of prepping the valve? I haven't really seen much on butterfly valve sanitary practices other than that they are more sanitary.

2) I love this thing, and although I'm not yet ready to invest any more into my equipment at this time, I'm really digging the tri-clover clamps. Is there a way to get a tri-clover attached method of measuring gravity so I don't have to take samples? That seems like it would be a nice eventual upgrade so I don't have to sanitize everything to take a reading (and therefore could take many more readings).

Thanks in advance.

(I have to give a shout out to Stout Tanks, the guy was really nice, responded to my questions quite quickly, and has delivered a product that was even nicer than the photos on the website. My only complaint is that I now want more stuff from the guy. http://conical-fermenter.com/ I hope he does well)

+1 to Stout tanks that guy has amazing products and it doesn't hurt that he's right around the corner. Congrats on your conical. My thoughts are put some warm starsan&water in a spray bottle and give a liberal *****ing. Contact time is about a minute then harvest at will.

my2cents

Back