Questions about Kettle Souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegboy5000

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt my first Kettle sour brew this coming weekend, and had a few questions.

1) Has anyone attempted (and succeeded) a Kettle Souring using a Grainfather (or similar) system? Seeing that the Grainfather can keep a steady temp indefinitely, it shouldn't be an issue to just leave the wort in, set a temp and cover until PH is reached.

2) When do you adjust the PH? Before or after cooling the wort to 95 degrees? And if it's not suggested to mix or stir any wort above 80 degrees to avoid oxidization, how do you distribute it?

3) Has anyone used a 5.2 PH stabilizer? What was your experiences?

4) Any tips and tricks to share?

Thanks Much!

Tony

I'm about to attempt my first Kettle sour brew this coming weekend, and had a few questions.

1) Has anyone attempted (and succeeded) a Kettle Souring using a Grainfather (or similar) system? Seeing that the Grainfather can keep a steady temp indefinitely, it shouldn't be an issue to just leave the wort in, set a temp and cover until PH is reached.

2) When do you adjust the PH? Before or after cooling the wort to 95 degrees? And if it's not suggested to mix or stir any wort above 80 degrees to avoid oxidization, how do you distribute it?

3) Has anyone used a 5.2 PH stabilizer? What was your experiences?

4) Any tips and tricks to share?

Thanks Much!

Tony

I always sour in my grainfather. I just pitch the lacto, put the lid on and cover tightly with plastic wrap, leave it set to 90ish, and then kill off the lacto when my PH is reached. After you sour, you will bring back up to pasteurization temp to kill off the lacto, chill down and then pitch a regular yeast (such as nottingham). You can aerate the wort like normal at that point. Never used the 5.2, but always read it's worthless and not needed.

I don't have a Grainfather, so can't comment on that.

2) I would pre acidify the wort AFTER chilling down to 95*F. I did it the other way around on my first kettle sour and the acidity of the wort really did a number on my immersion chiller I had at the time. It didn't destroy the IC, but it didn't look pretty anymore haha. You can stir the wort while pre-acidifying it. I've done this on every one I've done and it's come out fine. I use the Omega Lacto though...

3) Never used the stabilizer. However, not sure why you'd need it.

4) Keep the top of the container sealed to not let anything get in. Make sure you know your temp.

2. Adjust pH to 4.0-4.5 with Lactic acid after you chill to your Lacto pitching temp.
There's plenty of evidence to suggest that stirring is not a problem. Until you go full-on LoDO, the amount of HSA doesn't seem to matter. Some people even debate the possible benefit of LoDO.

3. Five Star 5.2 stabilizer is useless garbage. You should correct your mash pH with proven methods.

4. I suggest using L. plantarum for souring. For this species any temperature 70 to 100°F is fine (although ~98F is fastest). No hops prior to souring.

Back