Questions about an Old Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
I found an Old Ale recipe that I was thinking about making. This would be my third brew. I'm not up on how to mess with the ingredients yet. The recipe calls for 6 lbs of gold LME. I want to use a dry ME. Do they make a gold DME?
And does 6lbs of gold LME translate to 6 lbs of DME?

It also calls for 8 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal Malt and 8 oz Simpsons Golden Naked Oats. Are they being partial to using Simpsons? I assume there is other companies out there.

The hops go as follows:
6.4 AAU Target Pellet Hops (.75oz of 8.5% alpha acids)
2.2 AAU Fuggle Pellet Hops (.5oz of 4.4% alpha acids)
2.2 AAU Fuggle Pellet Hops (.5oz of 4.4% alpha acids)
Are these good choices? Any other better suggestions?

The yeast is Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I assume I can substitute White Labs Irish Ale yeast?

Thanks a lot for the help. I feel like some of the questions are dumb but I want to turn out a good beer.

Go ahead and use dry light malt extract if its what you can find. There is a fermentability by weight difference you will need to account for when converting from liquid to dry extract. I'm sure there is a thread on here that will provide that for you as I can't recall what it is right now (been a long time since I brewed an extract beer). You can definitely sub wyeast irish for white labs or vice versa if you wish. I don't think they are all that different.

One more thing. Simpsons is a british crystal, if you sub it out for a domestic crystal (Breiss for example) you will get a slightly different flavor profile in the finished product. Oats I don't know much about. There are several online retailers that carry those products if you can't find them locally and want to use them. Good luck.

Back