Questions about a clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HT_Installer

Reaction score
I am really wanting to get the right equiptment to do this brew. I am still a big noob so im not even sure what most of this even means. If someone would be able to point me in the direction of what equiptment is needed/extras that would be recomended and might not needed but are worth the extras. Im just not sure what all the abriv. mean to even look up the information on how to do this. I like to do the research but until i know what they mean i cant even do that. Please help.

Beer's Name: Cumberland Brews\' Yuengling Clone Style: Ale (American Premium Lager)
Original Gravity: 1.116
Final Gravity: 1.029
Alcohol content: 11.47%
Calories (per 12 oz.): 390
Total IBU (Bitterness): 52
SRM (color): 30

Ingredients: (portions for a 5 gal. batch)
0.66 lbs. Dextrine malt (cara-pils) All grain
0.66 lbs. Dextrine malt (cara-pils) All grain
0.33 lbs. American crystal 10L All grain
0.33 lbs. American crystal 10L All grain
3.5 lbs. Amber Malt syrup
3.5 lbs. Amber Malt syrup
3 lbs. DME (Amber)
3 lbs. DME (Amber)
1 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 5 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (pellet% AA) Boil time 5 min.
1 oz Irish Moss
1 oz Irish Moss
0.42 oz. Edme Ale Yeast Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 65-75°F)
0.42 oz. Edme Ale Yeast Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 65-75°F)
Directions:
Steep grains to 170-180 degrees F. Swish well & remove bag, allow to drain, DO NOT SQUEEZE BAG! Bring wort to boil and add extracts as normal. Boil time is 1 hour. Add hops as shown. Add Irish moss last 15 minutes of Boil.

Although this recipes is utilized to be fermented as an ale, it is called a \"Lager\" clone since it tastes darn near like Yuengling.

Keep in mind-
I don\'t know what is up with this recipe generator but CARA PILS should be grains.
The yeast should be 1 pack of SUPERIOR. I forget the weight of the yeast, but it is one pack.

Color should be closer to 9.08 °SRM (it\'s not nearly as dark as shown on this page)

here is a link if what i posted doesnt make sence. this is just a copy and paste from the website below.
http://www.homebrewhome.com/recipe.php?view_recipe=1&recipe=139&view=1

Thanks in advance for the help:mug:

Well, in spite of everything being listed twice, it's doable for a beginner. We can help you with it. I'm not sure it'll taste like Yuengling, though.

YooperBrew said:
Well, in spite of everything being listed twice, it's doable for a beginner. We can help you with it. I'm not sure it'll taste like Yuengling, though.
Yea that would be what im going for but im sure i will have to work with any brew to get it real close to any mass brewed beer. + I might like my own master piece even better. I really just wanted to start with something that i would kinda know that im doing it correctly so i can then play around and experiement. Just like a trial and error thing to say i know what one taste like so i can know im getting it right. From what im guessing(since im not sure what all that stuff is) is that is a grain brew so i would need that type of equiptment for it. I really havent purchased anything yet so i would like to only buy equiptment once so i would rather get better more expensive equiptment so i can do it right the first time. With being smart at the same time, make what i can with supplies from local stores that work just as well. Ive done a lot of copper soddering and plumbing in general so i can do a lot of piping if that is needed, as well as i can get a good amount of copper from a friend. Im handy in most forms of construction ect. My brother welds so i can even have material welded if needed.

YooperBrew is right. I am a new homebrewer and the first think I got was a 20-22 quart SS cooking pot (or it can be enamel also). Then you can simply get a basic kit like this one on amazon that includes ingredients to make a five gallon batch:

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Brewing-Equipment-American-Lager/dp/B0006LZ5WQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1199289861&sr=8-11

If you don't want the beer ingredients with it, then just make sure you get all the supplies...buckets, siphoning gear, bubbler, hydrometer, sanitizer, etc.

As far as abbreviated items in your recipe, the only one I saw was DME which is Dried Malt Extract. All the rest can be found at a well stocked local home brew store (LHBS) or online store.

I am new to this, but I too think the recipe is doubled and looks to be a 10 gallon batch, so maybe just cut it in half for a 5 gallon batch to start. I think starting out with an extract recipe like you have is a great way to get into the hobby. You've got a little bit of specialty grain in there too! Don't forget the muslin bag for steeping those grains.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help guys that should be a good start for me. I am going to get a list of equiptment once i get to that step and post it just to make sure im not forgetting anything.

Thanks again

Back