Question regarding DME addition to wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd batch last night, it was a hoppy IPA and my first batch using DME, 6 lbs. I added the DME slowly and worked it in but I was getting nervous becuase it was clumping up when added to the hot wort. With some patience I worked it all through and once all of the DME was in the wort and I brought the heat back up the clumps disolved ok. Just curious what your methods for adding DME to the wort and if you experience this clumping as well. Is it normal? Thanks

I brewed my 2nd batch last night, it was a hoppy IPA and my first batch using DME, 6 lbs. I added the DME slowly and worked it in but I was getting nervous becuase it was clumping up when added to the hot wort. With some patience I worked it all through and once all of the DME was in the wort and I brought the heat back up the clumps disolved ok. Just curious what your methods for adding DME to the wort and if you experience this clumping as well. Is it normal? Thanks

yep, that's pretty much what happens. The easiest way to add it is to put the DME in a big bowl. Remove the pot from the heat and burner (so it doesn't fall to the bottom in a big clump) and add the DME in stages from the bowl, and stir like crazy. A whisk really helps for this. When it's all dissolved, put it back on the heat.

It is normal, and it eventually all dissolved. I find that using a soup ladle to add helps, and once it get too gummy, just hold it in the wort til it dissolves.

Also keep stirring while adding, the more you stir the quickly it dissolves.

As an experiment once I dumped my entire 6 1/2 pound DME amount into the boiling water, to see if it would NOT fully dissolve...and with a lot of elbow grease it all worked itself into a smooth wort....It's not easy, but it will eventually dissolve...but doing it in smaller batches is much easier.

Sounds totally normal to me. I usually add it a little bit at a time instead of dumping it all in. It also gets harder to dissolve the more DME you add (for example, adding 9lbs to a 3 gallon boil for a Wee Heavy).

I have a stainless steel bowl with a small ring/handle on the outside. I slowly pour the DME in with one hand and use a wire whisk with the other. This dissolves it pretty fast.

Back